I think all that calcium is helpful when they go to put a shell on their egg… if they bypass the shell making station altogether, it doesn’t really matter how much calcium is on board. I’m not sure what makes the egg skip that step though :confused:
Speed. The egg going too fast. What makes the egg go too fast is a mystery to me.

Why is everybody always picking on me? !
Cause we're trying to change your name to Charlie Brown

20240324_112302.jpg

How old is she now?

I am also at a loss as to figure out why Petunia is laying soft eggs. And she is just a mutt, not one of those production breeds you would expect to see that in.
In desperation you can try to break her egg laying cycle by decreasing the amount of daylight.

You can cut her daylight hours by placing her in a dark location long before sunset. Maybe a covered crate. I have used a cardboard box in a closet in a pinch. You have to do it for at least a week. The added darkness can shut down the laying process just like winter does.

Sometimes this will do a complete reset and the soft shells go away but not always. It's something to consider.

Oof. So Perry may never lay a good egg 😲

She has a new bullying problem: Whiskey will decide to go give her a quick reminder of her position as rock bottom, but Perry will squat for her like she’s a rooster instead of running away! So then Whiskey gets in a whole bunch of aggressive pecks and destroys feathers while Perry holds perfectly still… 😫

Has this happened to anybody else? Any solutions? POI, Whiskey does not squat for me when I reach for her- she is adamant that I am not the flock rooster. Which I don’t need her to think I am unless it’s related to this bullying?
View attachment 3780380
I just posted on trying to reset her laying cycle with darkness. Sometimes that can work.

Back
Top Bottom