I don’t buy chicks from TSC. I go directly to the source: feed store/ hatchery and sometimes I go to the hatchery to look through the inventory, but I buy from the feed store. It how it’s done here. Honor the people!
That’s what I meant - Feed store - here I get my feed at Peavey Mart (used to be TSC), and they offer chicks fro Hoovers.

The other feed stores here can only get chicks from Freys Hatchery here in Ontario - and they do not offer fancy or more exotic types - Freys panders to the egg and meat people. Now having said that I am very happy with my Azurs ❤️

💕💕💕

Sorry, but I disagree with this. My hen Dakota inhales and then farts out her butt!

when my chickens get hot, they get air conditioning. If they are cold, heat. If they’re hungry they get a five course meal. Jump Dakota!View attachment 3785072
The laugh is for the action photo - love it!

Poor Dakota - don’t worry sweetie I know you don’t ‘toot’. 😊💕

I know it is Fluffy Butt Friday, but some chickens just have no modesty!

Piglet says, who me?!

View attachment 3785143

Happy Friday everyone.
Fluffy bums are so on display 😊

A bitty boy butt
BFTP last week 💕
9248B09B-E0A8-4A06-B45C-3AF4A0794124.jpeg

Consternation amongst the flock: Becky is unwell. And it’s a different illness than Albert’s. I started a course of clotrimazole cream around her bum- just topically though. I feel uncertain of just how helpful this will be?

Cons: Becky is lethargic, hasn’t laid in two days, vastly diminished appetite, major feather loss around her cloaca, and the feathers that remain have sticky discharge on them (*no weird yeasty smell).

Pros: walking/standing fine, tail up, comb bright, pooping solid so we know she’s not obstructed. Her (soft) belly doesn’t appear nearly distended enough to be water belly. Crop seems fine, but I need to keep an eye on it to make sure it’s emptying.

Oh these chickens!

I took this undignified photo while she was eating her morning mash. So at least she’s eating :confused: View attachment 3784170

On another note, the chooks are so mad at me! I let them out to free range, and not six minutes into it they got pelted by a hail storm and had to book it back to the covered run. Well it lasted just a few minutes so I opened the door back up for them so they’d get another chance in the yard. On their way out they gave me a piece of their mind, what they thought of all that hail and I had better not let that happen again.:old Well, would you believe it happened not just once, nor twice, but three times! In the span of like an hour- three waves of hail! By then, they were refusing to range for worms any further than a couple of feet from their run- just in case. Sorry girls!
Vent gleet is what you’re suspecting?

Amazing that BoPeeps is helping Sir Jaffar find his feed bowl. He’s been pecking at the feed and drinking the water. She’s been a good influence on him. So hard for me to see him getting weaker and weaker. I’m hoping that Bo isn’t affected by the antibiotics in the feed. This stuff isn’t easy for me!
:th
Hugs, it isn’t easy.
The antibiotics - is Jaffar getting his full prescribed dose if he’s sharing with Bo? Then, the concern with Bopeeps would be that she’s getting only a tiny dose of antibiotics that could help create resistant bacteria because it’s not overwhelming enough for the ones inside her. So those ones resistant multiply and spread through the tribe.

The laugh is for the action photo - love it!

Poor Dakota - don’t worry sweetie I know you don’t ‘toot’. 😊💕
Actually, chickens do pass gas.
There was an article about it. Little Bananas did it very noisily when I was picking her up, I was shocked because I thought she would poop on me but it was just a fart!

Your textured feed could be Petunia’s problem with soft shell eggs, not eating a balanced diet, not eating enough pellets?
Only thing with that theory is the bigger bossy gals get it all scarfed back in 20 min leaving just the grit and pellets. I only feed a small feeder full of it, one of those feeders used with chicks. With 32 birds it gets emptied fast! The feed is a layer ration, 17% textured layer - so it has the calcium added with the limestone grit and in the pellets - they pick at it but yep finish off the grains first thing.

Their main feed is the 17% pelleted layer.

And as per the Vet, I have not given any table scraps and treats at all, she only get an hr or so of grass outside in the evening; I feed the morning porridge once again mixed with the high protein supplement which also has calcium for layers.

And she is still getting calcium every other night, have to be careful with over doing calcium though, it can affect the heart. Calcium is use in muscle contractions which is why dairy cows get ‘milk fever’ where they have low calcium levels after they calve, they are mot able to stand up and will die if they don’t get calcium. An intravenous dose of calcium and it’s like a miracle - they stand up and walk away! But too much and they can have a heart attack.

Actually, chickens do pass gas.
There was an article about it. Little Bananas did it very noisily when I was picking her up, I was shocked because I thought she would poop on me but it was just a fart!
I have picked up chickens and had those noisy toots, but usually accompanied by poop also!

Back
Top Bottom