Thyroid function ( see point #5)
"Thyroid dysfunction in chickens will seriously affect the absorption and utilization of calcium, thereby producing thin-shell eggs or soft-shell eggs. Feeding thyroxine tablets for 3-5 days can quickly harden the eggshell."

Anybody done anything with this?

'Scuse me while I fall down a rabbit hole...

My favorite Guinea hen is at the emergency vet. She is exhibiting the same symptoms of the three that I lost last year. Frost, the one who died in my arms, is her daughter. Ridges has always been my favorite Guinea, and she always will. She pooped on the vet, and it looked kinda like coccidiosis, so we have to hope it is.
My dad told Mom and I to do something together because no one else is home, so we are just following his instructions 😉 he is going to be furious when he finds out, because this is going to be over $100.
Okay, she has really high numbers of coccidiosis in her. We got some medicine for that and some worm prevention medicine so that they don’t affect her while she is very ill. On my way home now, she’s on my lap chilling. I need to treat all of my birds for coccidiosis though… I’ll have to grab a picture of the fecal test results, because it is really cool.

I would hope that if I could take Sir Jaffar’s place in sickness I would. My poor little guy is so out of strength, I’m now feeding him by hand. I have Xzit and Dakota in the house with us. I’m still hopeful
:fl He can recover and return to his ladies
Wait- what happened to Jaffar? I’ve been gone for a few days.

My favorite Guinea hen is at the emergency vet. She is exhibiting the same symptoms of the three that I lost last year. Frost, the one who died in my arms, is her daughter. Ridges has always been my favorite Guinea, and she always will. She pooped on the vet, and it looked kinda like coccidiosis, so we have to hope it is.
My dad told Mom and I to do something together because no one else is home, so we are just following his instructions 😉 he is going to be furious when he finds out, because this is going to be over $100.
Oh I hope she is ok, keep us updated.

Oh I hope she is ok, keep us updated.
Here she is just now. I’m really hoping that she pulls through.
IMG_3033.jpeg

Okay, she has really high numbers of coccidiosis in her. We got some medicine for that and some worm prevention medicine so that they don’t affect her while she is very ill. On my way home now, she’s on my lap chilling. I need to treat all of my birds for coccidiosis though… I’ll have to grab a picture of the fecal test results, because it is really cool.
So glad you have meds for her.

At the closest farm store today to pick up the Kalmbach Full Plume feed to try, and some shavings. They just started carrying Kalmbach. I'd hardly ever been in their store before - we went there last week for seeds - so I looked around, also looked for hardware for the aviary netting attachment project. It's an Agway/ True Value store.

Light Brahma
PXL_20240329_203946622.jpg

PXL_20240329_203855569.jpg

Easter Eggers
PXL_20240329_203844435.jpg

This one looked at me and I was ready to take her home.
PXL_20240329_203842204.jpg

Olive Eggers
PXL_20240329_203816921.jpg

Also there were Wyandottes and Barred Rocks!
I've not seen this tray-type system before. Heat is not from lamps. They keep raising the feeder slot height for the chicks as they grow, and also most trays had regular egg-carton-style chick feeders inside too. Different from the Tractor Supply farm bins and heat lamps. Also different was that they are advertising pullets, not straight-run, our TSC mostly has only straight-run.

At the closest farm store today to pick up the Kalmbach Full Plume feed to try, and some shavings. They just started carrying Kalmbach. I'd hardly ever been in their store before - we went there last week for seeds - so I looked around, also looked for hardware for the aviary netting attachment project. It's an Agway/ True Value store.

Light Brahma
View attachment 3785791
View attachment 3785792

Easter Eggers
View attachment 3785794
This one looked at me and I was ready to take her home.
View attachment 3785795

Olive Eggers
View attachment 3785797

Also there were Wyandottes and Barred Rocks!
I've not seen this tray-type system before. Heat is not from lamps. They keep raising the feeder slot height for the chicks as they grow, and also most trays had regular egg-carton-style chick feeders inside too. Different from the Tractor Supply farm bins and heat lamps. Also different was that they are advertising pullets, not straight-run, our TSC mostly has only straight-run.
Oh. My. Gosh!

How did you resist 😊 I would go broke there - and I would have needed a bigger barn! They are just so darn adorable.

That’s an awesome setup they have, but I would worry about people being able to touch them, and I would worry about bio security.

Here at Peavey Mart they only offer Pullets, no straight run (oh except for the bantams they offer to order).

Back
Top Bottom