At the closest farm store today to pick up the Kalmbach Full Plume feed to try, and some shavings. They just started carrying Kalmbach. I'd hardly ever been in their store before - we went there last week for seeds - so I looked around, also looked for hardware for the aviary netting attachment project. It's an Agway/ True Value store.

Light Brahma
View attachment 3785791
View attachment 3785792

Easter Eggers
View attachment 3785794
This one looked at me and I was ready to take her home.
View attachment 3785795

Olive Eggers
View attachment 3785797

Also there were Wyandottes and Barred Rocks!
I've not seen this tray-type system before. Heat is not from lamps. They keep raising the feeder slot height for the chicks as they grow, and also most trays had regular egg-carton-style chick feeders inside too. Different from the Tractor Supply farm bins and heat lamps. Also different was that they are advertising pullets, not straight-run, our TSC mostly has only straight-run.
Wow and $4 - chicks here are $11, I think I will take a drive down to Peavey on 30th April after work, and see what they get in, you know just be nosy 😊

The new family farm and home in the city had lavender orpingtons for 9.99 last saturday! I wish I had gotten a picture to show y'all.
I think I'm going to look for full plume as well. My girls are doing great on the layer feed but if it's available I'm tempted to switch. We have an amish store near here too that I should look at as well. I am a big fan of the Kalmbach foods though.
20240329_153927.jpg
20240329_153920.jpg
20240329_153930.jpg
20240329_153838.jpg

The new family farm and home in the city had lavender orpingtons for 9.99 last saturday! I wish I had gotten a picture to show y'all.
I think I'm going to look for full plume as well. My girls are doing great on the layer feed but if it's available I'm tempted to switch. We have an amish store near here too that I should look at as well. I am a big fan of the Kalmbach foods though.
View attachment 3785843
View attachment 3785844
View attachment 3785845
View attachment 3785846
Those are some great derrières 😊

Thyroxine and shell quality... Not having a lot of luck other than that one little quote. That source also doesn't say HOW much to give, though another study I read used 0.3 mgs. But they weren't testing for shell quality.
:idunno

One good thing... Thyroxine seems to be easy to get.

https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/thyro-tabs-canine-levothyroxine-sodium

"Levothyroxine ... can also be used to treat hypothyroidism in birds and tortoises....
"Levothyroxine is a synthetic form of a naturally occurring thyroid hormone called thyroxine."

Well. That was fun. Don't know if it will lead me anywhere. If it does, I'll let you know.

Edited for typo: NOT .3 gms, .3 mgs!!!

Last edited:
Thyroxine and shell quality... Not having a lot of luck other than that one little quote. That source also doesn't say HOW much to give, though another study I read used 0.3 gms. But they weren't testing for shell quality.
:idunno

One good thing... Thyroxine seems to be easy to get.

https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/thyro-tabs-canine-levothyroxine-sodium

"Levothyroxine ... can also be used to treat hypothyroidism in birds and tortoises....
"Levothyroxine is a synthetic form of a naturally occurring thyroid hormone called thyroxine."

Well. That was fun. Don't know if it will lead me anywhere. If it does, I'll let you know.
Have you ever heard of hidroxopoxohystominatonin? Neither have I! It’s as Greek to me as the chooks yogurt is in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom