A Story.
This is the story of the Cockerel and the Brave Hen.

Long ago, back in the days when the Littles were getting bigger, and I thought that I could integrate them with the Bigs by letting them free range together, there was a problem. The two groups hated each other. Small fights and pecks would break out. I assumed this was normal (which it was). Sooner or later, the Cockerel, who was bigger than the Brave Hen, gets in a fight with the Brave Hen.

The fight continued, and feathers flew. And then, the Brave Hen, Lowest of the Pecking Order, 7th place in the Coop of the Bigs, hopped on top of the rooster and rode him. No, really. I wish I had filmed it. Oh, it was glorious. Dominica the Brave Hen of the Bigs rode the Foolish Cockerel of the Littles around like he was a riding horse. She had a nice, firm grip on his saddle, and held his hackles like they were reins. The Foolish Cockerel realized he was toast, and was now meant to be a steed for the Brave Hen. The Brave Hen, in her infinite mercy, released the Foolish Cockerel back, while ensuring to insult him once more.

"That was a mighty fine ride, Cockerel" she said.

The Foolish Cockerel sulked back to his hens, and watched the 7 Bigs happily play, knowing they had one once more, and that Empress Josephine's power would rule.

A Story.
This is the story of the Cockerel and the Brave Hen.

Long ago, back in the days when the Littles were getting bigger, and I thought that I could integrate them with the Bigs by letting them free range together, there was a problem. The two groups hated each other. Small fights and pecks would break out. I assumed this was normal (which it was). Sooner or later, the Cockerel, who was bigger than the Brave Hen, gets in a fight with the Brave Hen.

The fight continued, and feathers flew. And then, the Brave Hen, Lowest of the Pecking Order, 7th place in the Coop of the Bigs, hopped on top of the rooster and rode him. No, really. I wish I had filmed it. Oh, it was glorious. Dominica the Brave Hen of the Bigs rode the Foolish Cockerel of the Littles around like he was a riding horse. She had a nice, firm grip on his saddle, and held his hackles like they were reins. The Foolish Cockerel realized he was toast, and was now meant to be a steed for the Brave Hen. The Brave Hen, in her infinite mercy, released the Foolish Cockerel back, while ensuring to insult him once more.

"That was a mighty fine ride, Cockerel" she said.

The Foolish Cockerel sulked back to his hens, and watched the 7 Bigs happily play, knowing they had one once more, and that Empress Josephine's power would rule.
Incredible. I wish I had seen that. 😆

Incredible. I wish I had seen that. 😆
You would have laughed. It was a sight to behold. I think Cockerel still has a grudge with that bird to this very day.

We ended up just keeping them two seperate groups. I think it's for the better, since that cockerel is very busy and those hens will not stop fighting.

A Transition

Now that we have given Lilly her due, it is time to transition to a new leader. Nature does not give us time to mourn, we must move on quickly for the good of the tribe.

To say she is fierce is an understatement. The current leader of the tribe fought her way to the top. In fact, I have video evidence of how she battled her way to the position.

The video below is of an extended competition between Aurora and Hattie for number 2 in the tribe behind Lilly. In this instance Hattie wins. The day this took place there were 3 such confrontations. I only caught the third and final one on video.

Watch how Lilly tries to intervene early and then puts the final stamp on Aurora after Aurora has conceded to Hattie. Even Sansa had a thought about becoming involved and then wisely stayed out of it.

At some point, unobserved by me, Aurora would work her way past Hattie but on this day Hattie held on to her position.

Tis the way of the chicken - Aurora learnt to think ahead, how does the old saying go? He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.

It seems that a regular 40W light bulb is sufficient for keeping the temperature of the brooder at 90f
Brooding box- Walmart 18x34x19 tote bin.
Heat lamp and frame- TSC
Chick starter feed- Evan’s tack and feed
Occupants- Both Porterville feed, and Evan’s T&F
Pine shavings- TSC
Sedatives and high blood pressure medication for the stress of chick 🐣 management- Sequoia Health and Wellness Center Visalia ca!
:barnie :lau
Check list complete! Well done!

Gosh those chicks are just rootin tootin cute - everyone has chicks now!

💕💕

Back
Top Bottom