I'm saying so far buff orpington is a breed match for what they're looking like, but so are other breeds such as buff rock. Going off hoover's identify chick list, Amberlink, calico princess, California white, deleware, buff chantecler, golden comet, male ISA brown, prairie bluebell Eggers, even a light variety of new hampshire all can have fluffy yellow chicks. The list isn't exhaustive of chicken breeds and I left off all those with feathered feet. I don't know the differences between amberlinks and calico Princesses for example, and your little darlings haven't grown enough to show some of the characteristics that will make that clear....just as they haven't shown if any are male yet. Meanwhile, keep taking pics (you know we love those) and sharing sweet moments with us. Also share all the memories of Jaffar you care to as we all loved him too. :hugs :hugs :hugs

I promise I will examine every pic for chick breed identification and tell you what I can.
That’s it!!! Darn it, if they are not Buff Orpingtons, I’m gonna take them back !! :barnie

That definitely eliminates the rocks, leghorns, and any other yellow leg breed. Buff orp is very high on the list of possibles.
Also eliminates amberlink and deleware.

California white looks to have white legs and lays white eggs. Also mostly white feathers so buff orp still very likely possibility. Don't you have 1 that's feathering out more white?

Sharp eyed Rural Mouse 😁

I was at Peavey Mart getting some beet pulp and 36% poultry supplement for the big girls and popped over to see how many they had left from the arrivals on Tuesday - there was this crazy arse Americana chick eyeing the rim of the enclosure just looking at flying out - and then she did right into my shopping cart! Along the way she grabbed a BR by the head and dragged her into the cart also!

That chick is bonkers I tell you bonkers! She bit my hand and told me ‘March Hooman, or your eye is next!’.

Well now what’s a girl to do? So I marched !

View attachment 3815038View attachment 3815039
View attachment 3815040View attachment 3815041
Wild Thing, if that is to be her name, will grow up to be a beauty.
This pretty girl Owly
DSCN2774.JPG

is convinced you have her baby sister.
DSCN1552.JPG
DSCN1554.JPG

I told her it was not likely but she would hear none of it.
DSCN2608.JPG

It is hard to argue with miss Know-It-All.
DSCN2513.JPG

Apparently we are to check back with her in about 6 months time. She claims she will look like her and be another green egg layer for you. She also demands when she is right, she gets a whole box of raisins to herself.

Could it be an apricot of some kind? The bark looks like the "prunus" type things. We had two apricots, one died, it needs a second to pollinate. So it mostly never had fruit (one year something DID pollinate it and there were tiny, barely edible fruits). It got fairly wrecked one winter so we've just cut it down. It bloomed before the leaves, very early in the Spring, they looked similar, and they were fragrant.

Back
Top Bottom