Food (New Duck Mom Panic)

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
I think I got "Tractor Supplied" by not having my Storey's book. This has too much protein, doesn't it? I'll have 4 ducklings and 2 goslings in 4 weeks. I was already planning on niacin through peas and brewer's yeast, plus meal worms, but can someone direct me to a better crumble for 2 day olds through (2 weeks? 4 weeks?). I've reread the book several times and am suddenly feeling lost on feed until fully feathered. I'll be adding greens and grass. I'm not sure what feed to buy, protein differences between the two, when to switch off crumbles, adding oats, etc. I think my nerves are getting to me! Chewy and Farm & Fleet are easy options in addition to Tractor Supply and Amazon. Thanks in advance!

20220328_110553.jpg

I think that will be fine. You can always change it up later if you notice any reason to.
I have a bag of that to use once my duckling starter crumble is used up.

I think the feed will be fine, but you should not give peas or other food until about 2-3 weeks old, and they need to have several days of grit on their food before other foods are offered. IMHO It also helps for them to have daily probiotics for those first 8 weeks, so their intestines are better able to use the feed they are getting. At 2-3 weeks, mash other foods and mix with a bit of warm water and only offer small bits, just to get them used to eating other things. They really need the starter feed nutrition. Some people then either start adding into the starter feed, a lower protein content adult feed at 3 weeks, or they cut the protein of the starter feed with oats because some people feel that the high levels of protein in the starter feed after 3 weeks contributes to them getting Angel Wing.

Last edited:
I think I got "Tractor Supplied" by not having my Storey's book. This has too much protein, doesn't it?
No, it's NOT too much protein and it has the correct amount of niacin for ducklings, as I called the company to verify since it isn't listed on the tag. I raised ducklings without supplementation and without issues, noting Giant Pekin may still need extra niacin. I NEVER switched feeds (due to always having chicks or broody hens/roosters in my flock) The ducks were healthy the entire time.

Angel wing is a poorly misunderstood condition caused by excess calories from ANY source COUPLED with genetics.

Peas can be as much as 22% protein. So that would not lower protein levels compared to the Purina flock raiser. Adding in these extra things actually may unbalance some other nutrients and should be less than 5-10% of the total daily intake. Oats and greens fall in the same category to me as treats. Grass is free choice, free range

Meal worms are VERY high fat.

This is a better guideline (more current and accurate).. Set that book aside.. (I've seen some less preferred but standard hatching advice in it too).

https://www.metzerfarms.com/nutritional-requirements.html

Never go by the picture, PLEASE!

By law in the US, age and species the feed is appropriate for is listed somewhere on the back near the feeding instructions. on the Purina Flock Raiser it states..

"Feed Purina® Flock Raiser® as the sole ration to chickens, ducks and geese from hatch until laying age (about 18-24 weeks)"

No doubt it suggest more calcium at that point. Which some will switch to "layer" feed, and is when I just add free choice oyster shell on the side for active layers.

Hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I agree with [B]EggSighted4Life[/B] ^ ^ ^ ^​

Our ducklings are fed starter crumble until the bag runs out [we don't stop at 3 weeks just because some folks recommend lower protein from 3 weeks.] We then use flock raiser although we do add extra niacin for the pekin ducklings. Once the ducklings are fully feathered and outside in the coop at 12 weeks, mine go onto Purina duck pellets when the sack of flock raiser is finished. My son's go onto organic pellets -- duck layer pellets when available, but currently organic chicken layer with extra niacin added.

No, it's NOT too much protein and it has the correct amount of niacin for ducklings, as I called the company to verify since it isn't listed on the tag. I raised ducklings without supplementation and without issues, noting Giant Pekin may still need extra niacin. I NEVER switched feeds (due to always having chicks or broody hens/roosters in my flock) The ducks were healthy the entire time.

Angel wing is a poorly misunderstood condition caused by excess calories from ANY source COUPLED with genetics.

Peas can be as much as 22% protein. So that would not lower protein levels compared to the Purina flock raiser. Adding in these extra things actually may unbalance some other nutrients and should be less than 5-10% of the total daily intake. Oats and greens fall in the same category to me as treats. Grass is free choice, free range

This is a better guideline (more current and accurate).. Set that book aside.. (I've seen some less preferred but standard hatching advice in it too).

By law in the US, age and species the feed is appropriate for is listed somewhere on the back near the feeding instructions. on the Purina Flock Raiser it states..

"Feed Purina® Flock Raiser® as the sole ration to chickens, ducks and geese from hatch until laying age (about 18-24 weeks)"

No doubt it suggest more calcium at that point. Which some will switch to "layer" feed, and is when I just add free choice oyster shell on the side for active layers.

Thank you so much for the breakdown!!

I've only raised ducklings three times so far, so I am certainly no expert, but I can tell you that tractor supply does carry duckling crumble. I've only found it in organic. It's a yellow bag. Not all tractor supplies carry the large bag, so it's worth looking around online to see who has it. For the past year I've been able to get duck food from my local feed store instead of hunting the large bags at tractor supply.

My first set of ducklings were raised on non-medicated chicken crumble until they moved to the chicken feed and then finally the layer feed. The second and third hatches were fed the duck crumble and then moved to duck pellets. I add oyster shells for the extra calcium for layers. We have more ducklings due next week and just for peace of mind I will go with the duckling crumble again.

I can't tell you what's right or wrong, but I can tell you that there I see no difference between any of the ducks in my flock. 😉

** I just wanted to add that if your local feed store doesn't carry waterfowl food you can probably ask them to order some for you. My never carried it on the shelf but was willing to order it for me. As of this year they have made it standard stock. Guess it's catching on 👍

Well said!! I agree wholeheartedly. The feed I use is 22 percent protein.
I think that most of the major problems people run across is many times due to all the extra things they try to add to the diet to avoid the very issues they worry about.

:goodpost:That's what I liked about Purina Flock Raiser start them from hatch and never have to change feeds. Just put out oyster shell for layers.

Back
Top Bottom