Found a Kitten - Unsure of Age & Need Advice

I rescued a cat this age. Don't worry about it not being interested in eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping for now. Just take it outside, get it a little exercise, and always offer it food and clean water. I hope my information helped. If this goes on too long, please call the vet and ask about it.
Until ours settled down and tamed, I wouldn't have wanted to take it outside. I wouldn't have been able to catch it. I was thankful to have a large dog crate. That helped a lot the first few days until it settled down.

Hi everyone, I found a little orange kitten in the bushes last night. It seems healthy enough, but it's not interested in eating or drinking, and it has not pooped or peed. Its current weight is 827 grams (1.8 pounds), it has canines, and the pre-molars look like they are coming in.

How old do you all think it is? And should I worry about it not eating/drinking/pooping/peeing?
Yes be concerned! At 1.8 lbs. likely at least 5 or 6 weeks old and should be eating drinking and going to the litter box! Use an eyedropper and give water immediately. Take the kitten to a vet and it will need worming and parasite protection which is very limited in cats less than 2 lbs. of 8 weeks. as to what is safe to use and the dosages. I have just rescued a 7 week old kitten(weighed 2.2 lbs.) that showed up in my front yard screaming! I never intended to but have rescued about a dozen over the last 60 years or so. Gently massage the kittens booty with a warm damp soft cloth to encourage a bowel movement as that is not uncommon with a stray lost from his/her mom's care. A vet is the best thing to get the kitten off to a healthy life.

Until ours settled down and tamed, I wouldn't have wanted to take it outside. I wouldn't have been able to catch it. I was thankful to have a large dog crate. That helped a lot the first few days until it settled down.
Ditto. We have 3 rescue kitties here, and always keep them in the house minimally two weeks before attempting to let them go outside where there are two dogs, other cats, chickens, the neighbor's turkey and peafowls, etc. lol.

My previous rescue cat answered to meow meow so it became his name! The new kitten here is named after three previous similar gray male cats, Sylvester crazy cat. The original was from a litter of a feral cat living in the deep woods and became a rabbit hunter bringing them back alive to me. Made for a few hilarious events, when he would walk up dragging a huge rabbit and drop it at my feet and it would leap up into the air and take off startling my friends. Then they would tear zigzagging down the way until out of sight! I hope you and your new found kitty have a long and loving experience together.

Back
Top Bottom