You can get up on that soap box anytime Shad, I’ll get up there with you :highfive:

Are you not allowed to let your flock out onto your allotment? Ridiculous. That’s a lovely area for them to work and I’m sure they were happy for the time to get out and about.
I'll move over a bit then.:D
It's not even that I'm not allowed. Apparently I'm mad. The norm here is to cover the plot in plastic sheet so one doesn't have to weed at the start of the growing system. The whole idea is called no dig allotments. I'm sure there are benefits, but when one includes the yards of plastic, the rubble and broken pallets and the waste of resources for wild life I just can't see it being of much benefit overall. One of the allotment holders commented that they were surprised at just how much earth a chicken can shift. I dig and leave clods, the chickens break them up and chuck the soil around.

How do you obtain an allotment? We don't have anything like that here as far as I know so the process is unknown to me.
Most are owned by the local councils and the councils lease the plots. One applies and waits, sometimes for two or three years depending on the area.
They range in price from £50 upwards for a years lease. The rules are quite strict.
Where I and the chickens are is community lease. Everyone who has a plot has in theory an equal say.
The community leases tend to be more informal although the alotment laws still apply.
I got mine for nothing because I look after the chickens and do other stuff there. It's very quiet there. I don't see anyone there for weeks in the winter so it's a bit like having an acre of garden.

Most are owned by the local councils and the councils lease the plots. One applies and waits, sometimes for two or three years depending on the area.
They range in price from £50 upwards for a years lease. The rules are quite strict.
Where I and the chickens are is community lease. Everyone who has a plot has in theory an equal say.
The community leases tend to be more informal although the alotment laws still apply.
I got mine for nothing because I look after the chickens and do other stuff there. It's very quiet there. I don't see anyone there for weeks in the winter so it's a bit like having an acre of garden.

Thanks for explaining that. Your allotment sounds like a very nice quiet place for you.

I'll move over a bit then.:D
It's not even that I'm not allowed. Apparently I'm mad. The norm here is to cover the plot in plastic sheet so one doesn't have to weed at the start of the growing system. The whole idea is called no dig allotments. I'm sure there are benefits, but when one includes the yards of plastic, the rubble and broken pallets and the waste of resources for wild life I just can't see it being of much benefit overall. One of the allotment holders commented that they were surprised at just how much earth a chicken can shift. I dig and leave clods, the chickens break them up and chuck the soil around.
Ah yes, the old you don’t agree with me so you’re angry and/or hate me :rolleyes: I am so over humanity. I hope those folks will just leave you to do your thing.

The industriousness of chickens still amazes me sometimes. I’ve been battling weeds in one part of my yard for a couple of years. I opened that area to the chickens and it’s pretty much cleaned out. They are amazing.

Wee ones are here! They sent four chicks instead of three. Chubby cheeks :love
BAF85811-F01C-4640-9FBC-6FD5BEFAD840.jpeg
DC264085-1AA2-4FAF-86E3-135FC91D11CB.jpeg
288D8FCA-4E86-4A9B-885E-47439A306187.jpeg
09FEE4E6-CC50-41FE-A62F-4797242894CB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom