Gasping Tom Turkey

chick helps pls

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
hello everyone please help if you can my Tom is four years old and today he’s not fluffing up and he’s off balance and gasping for air

He is also in the same pen as chickens and I’m not sure this should be because of black head disease which we just learned about trying to figure out what’s wrong with him any help would be appreciated

I’m not sure what his breed is my dad got them and doesn’t pay attention but I think he’s just really hot because I think he’s panting and not gasping how do I cool him down

hello everyone please help if you can my Tom is four years old and today he’s not fluffing up and he’s off balance and gasping for air

He is also in the same pen as chickens and I’m not sure this should be because of black head disease which we just learned about trying to figure out what’s wrong with him any help would be appreciated
I’m not sure what his breed is my dad got them and doesn’t pay attention but I think he’s just really hot because I think he’s panting and not gasping how do I cool him down
I t
Mine like to stand in a large feed pan of cool water
Ok I’ll try that thank you

Attachments

• IMG_8894.jpeg
    IMG_8894.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
So he couldn’t get his feet into the water without falling over so I’ve got him into our shop where it’s cooler with some water shoild this be ok? He’s still panting and he’s just standing

What breed is he and what's his diet?
The breed is Turkey. The only thing that might matter is whether it is a broad breasted or heritage variety.
I t

Ok I’ll try that thank you
Looks like it is over heated. Turkeys especially dark colored ones need shade on hot sunny days.

If it is broad breasted, it is not uncommon for them to have heart issues.

This is what he looks like now, it’s way cooler in the shop, and I think his pee looks ok? But he’s still panting and not drinking much I’ll see if I can figure out his breed but I’m pretty sure he’s overheated, how long does it usually take for them to cool down?

Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas and help also!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom