Golf balls backfiring.

billmac

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Well, maybe. We're having a little problem with egg eating. Yesterday we got 5 eggs. Last night I put two golf balls in each nest. Today, we have gotten two eggs. I haven't been home yet so I don't know if there is any sign of eggs being eaten, but I was wondering if the golf balls can throw them off?

Or, is it possible that since they just started laying, they are just inconsistent? Once a hen starts laying, does she absolutely lay an egg every day?

Thanks

No they are not consistant. I got one olive colored egg 3 weeks ago and none since. When my first hen laid, it was every other day for 5 days and then she started giving us more. We just got 4 green eggs today! I'll bet you money we won't get 4 tomorrow..

Pullets who just started laying are definitely inconsistent and from what I hear, it takes a few weeks to get them on track. My Barred Rock started last Thursday and I've only gotten one egg since then.

Oh oh! the ladies are counting eggs/golf balls, if they see the golf balls they count them and if there are enough in the nest they assume they have already laid an egg and won't lay one.
But, help is on the way....simply put a "1" on each golf ball with a marker pen, that way when they look at the golf balls they only think there is one egg and they will lay their egg to make up the difference.
Hang in there.....
Ah, btw, it takes three days for a hen to make two eggs......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom