grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I have been getting a few wind eggs lately white and brown. I think its this last bag of food i bought them. They dont even like it. It was cheaper and at a different store.

2. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    It would be great for those on a diet if we could make chickens that only lay no yolkers. I'd buy them. Lol

3. Dannachic

Dannachic Overrun With Chickens

Jun 3, 2015
    ky
    because you like to..it makes you happy..

4. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    Wind eggs?

5. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    Wind egg = no yolk just white.

I'm going to make sugar cookies for a grandkid. :)

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    medicated fees is not a danger to humans...the medication is just a coccidiostat, which is a thiamine blocker and would not pose a risk to humans in the amount that *might* make its way into the eggs. Like you I don't use medicated feed, but for those who do, eat away
    I've always eaten any egg that didn't give me reason to question is safety, first, last, whatever

7. MissFrog

MissFrog Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Granny, our new house came with 3 outdoor cats. They are very friendly and we feed them.
    Since we are finally getting our fence, we are going to bring the girls to the new house (when I finish the endless coop project). Do you think the cats are a danger to the chickens? We don't have a rooster (also due to close neighbors at the old house) to defend them. Since we have all sorts of critters around us, we plan on doing an electric fence but it will take a while, and I am just worried about the cats being the first obvious danger.
    And, since I am in the boonies, our internet connection via satellite is almost as slow as dialup so I can't really read during the weekends. You guys managed to add like 40 pages to the thread... I will never get caught up...

8. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    cats normally dont / wont mess with chickens for some reason unknown to me. My hens even chase them off. since you are feeding the cats theres probably no worries but keep an eye just in case.

1 person likes this.
  9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have had chickens killed by a hungry ferel male cat........

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Cats are a concern with bantams and chicks......Chicks raised by a broody are generally well protected, chick's without a good broody not so much. In all my years with chickens I've not had a single loss or issue with cats. A good, hard peck is usually enough to cow most farm cats....not unusual to see flock around cat dish and cat laying nearby pouting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by