grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm..... whatcha getting Ol male ? I have never ordered from hatchery. I like the sound of extras though. hahaaa Cats are evil ! A day hasnt gone by that this new one hasnt tried to eat the chicks in the house.

Who knows what I'll actually end up ordering in the end - but right now my list includes:

Speckled Sussex
Appenzeller Spitzhauben (I like the more controlled head dress, especially for keeping in a mixed flock as I know my Polish didn't always do well with their full head dresses)
Black Australorp (were on our list for this year, but unavailable the day I did find Welsummers - so I got some BSL instead)
California Grey *or* Barred Rock
Red Sex Link - DD fell in love with some at a place she stayed last summer and they *are* great production birds...but I'll have to over order and sell off extras because I'm picky about wanting the ones with lighter coloring and more white, lol.

also considering:
Ancona
more Easter Egger/Olive Egger
and who knows what else by the time I actually order -- I want them all, lol. I have months yet to finalize the list............and add to it, lol.

From the existing birds, I'll have - at least one Buff Orp and 1 or 2 of the two Easter Eggers from the group that will be 2 1/2 at that time; 1 or 2 of the EE/GLW pullets that started laying this spring and at least the three Welsummers I started this spring, maybe the two BSL if I end up liking them.

Last edited:
I'm tempted by all the postings of the Cackle Hatchery - Hatchery Surprise box, but I like a little more control over what I get - especially given that species isn't even a guarantee with that one.

Black Australorp (were on our list for this year, but unavailable the day I did find Welsummers - so I got some BSL instead)

EXCELLENT choice!
celebrate.gif

/biased

MrsB

what is BSL ? black sex link? Boring !!! LOL if you have extra apples whatever they are I will gladly take them off your hands !!!! MY PET CHICKEN is advertising serama eggs. 25 each !
ep.gif
shoot i got a ton i will sell for half that amount. First hatchery to do so. Olga just peed in the floor right in front of us. I hope she dont have infection. I cant afford that right now. 2 other cats and one litter box changed every other or third day.

what is BSL ? black sex link? Boring !!! LOL if you have extra apples whatever they are I will gladly take them off your hands !!!! MY PET CHICKEN is advertising serama eggs. 25 each !
ep.gif
shoot i got a ton i will sell for half that amount. First hatchery to do so. Olga just peed in the floor right in front of us. I hope she dont have infection. I cant afford that right now. 2 other cats and one litter box changed every other or third day.

Yep, Black Sex Link - I do agree on the boring bit, but was the best choice of what they did have since at least I knew I'd not get an oopps roo using those to meet the minimum of 6 chicks to go with my Welsummers.......figure I'll see how they lay, and one of them is turning out to be a pretty little thing so far. Her black is absolutely stunning, her sheen looks like one of those cars with the chameleon paint jobs where it's a different color from every angle, blue, green and purple.
It amazes me the price some eggs/breeds are able to demand - more power to them, I guess, as long as someone's willing to pay it, charge it, right?
So, three cats and one box? That can be a problem - in multi cat homes it's best to have multiple boxes in more than one location of the house. "They" recommend one per cat plus one, but I've never done that because we usually have 3-5+ (only 2 are "house" cats, the others are indoor/outdoor and ONLY use the boxes when they are inside at night and no one is up to let them out because they prefer to do their thing outside) cats at any given time so I'd have boxes everywhere, lol --- I have been able to get away with 2-3 and do make sure I have one a room away from any other boxes. Cats are all about psychological warfare and one cat will refuse to let another have use of the box, etc. They won't even be blatant about it - they'll just stake out a place in the general area and make sure the other cat sees them between that cat and the litter box and the other cat knows that to go towards the box *could* mean a fight, etc so the back down, hold it and eventually find somewhere else to relieve themselves. With all the recent upheaval going on around your place it wouldn't be surprising to start seeing this sort of stuff popping up even if it hadn't been an issue before. Putting another box in another area of the house makes it impossible for any one cat to control both boxes at the same time. If you have any rubbermaid totes, cardboard boxes (this would also require a garbage bag, etc for leak proofing), etc you can rig another litter box without having to go out and actually buy anything --- I use the rubber maid totes because I can cut the "door" higher than the lips on most of those things sold for litter boxes and they have high walls around them - I had one male cat that needed the high sides because they'd get in the box but end up hitting the floor outside the box with what they were doing and I like the high "door" because it helps cut the mess from enthusiastic diggers flinging litter out.

Last edited:
So, I posted this thread yesterday https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...aving-to-kill-me-afterwards-lol#post_15338644 - and as far as I can tell, even though two members of "the team" have responded, I still have not gotten a straight answer to what I thought was a yes or no question - am I missing something?

I have wondered about this too. I think the answer, that they are so carefully not saying, is that it changes as needed. Around the time I first started BYC, it was said you had to have 10 posts. There was quite a bit of spamming going on then, so that probably had something to do with it because later I noticed people saying that the post count had to be even more than that. Nifty was very vague about it- Make a few posts and then try.

Oh, also meant to mention gold sexlinks (golden comets). You mentioned you wanted lighter colored RSLs and the golds are more orange-y than red. The amount of white varies quite a bit though. Mine only had a white necklace. Good calm chicken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom