grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    bbq chicken, until the gas ran out on the grill [​IMG] so part baked, corn on the cob, and green salad. Too hot here for much else. We hit 100. I get sick from that kind of heat.

The chickens like the corn silks!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    So much for the final possum. Went out to lock the coop and the feeder was swinging. BIG one again. Ugh. So I ran back in and got two shots, no good. Guess my fun's not over.

3. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    Bloody things.

I need to do some target shooting with the hubs' pellet gun.

Stupid squirrels.

Saw something rather questionable on Pinterest today. How to stop a rooster from crowing...by putting a band of Velcro around his throat so he can't get as much air in his voice box.

Even put up a video of their rooster "not crowing"

Was a rather sickly sound but still had volume. :/

4. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The Velcro collar you saw is a knock-off of a No Crow Collar. Some people say they work, some people say they do not work, and some people report killing their rooster with them.

I say if you think you need a No Crow Collar for your rooster, you don't need to keep the rooster......

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Granny, sending get well wishes for every body and everything at your house. Hugs too.

7. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal

I say I can agree with that.

Course though my landlord has said if one of my chicks ends up being all rooster like I can keep him...the way I've heard him talk about neighbors roosters makes me think he'd find his way in the soup pot rather quickly. :/

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Thank you for saying that - I find myself removing my fingers from the keyboard every time I see mention of wanting/needing/using one of these contraptions - I just do not see how keeping an animal in a contraption that directly impacts it's ability to function as that animal is designed to function is so widely accepted and, indeed, applauded. Roosters crow - don't want/can't have crowing, don't have a rooster. I just do not see how this sort of device is considered a good idea, at all.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL - have so been there. It's so hard, anymore to find a place to have your cylinder filled (w/out buying into one of those ridiculously overpriced "exchange" programs) - our TSC does it, and beyond that the only other option w/in 30 miles is the local LP gas delivery place, but they have strictly "business office" type hours, so getting it from them requires serious planning ahead and making a mad dash on my lunch hour to try to get to them, get filled and get back to the office in my allotted time since I work those same hours.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - I use plastic grocery bags for handling anything remotely "yucky" -- keeps whatever you are dealing with from soaking through paper towels, etc and getting on your skin. For smell - a little Vicks vapo-rub under the nose does a good job of helping to block most of the nasty smells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by