Green Egg Envy: Our attempts at breeding our own olive eggers!

Well, my first round of Green Egg chicks have hatched! I had 4 out of 5 viable eggs hatch and their colors have really surprised me! Two are dark, with black legs/beaks and two are grey with peach legs/beaks. The last one out is still wet in the bator. He had a bleeding navel when he first hatched, but it seems to have stopped now. Hopefully he will fluff up soon and join his siblings in the brooder. :)

First out, he was quite the early bird!!

Second out, had a very normal hatch.

Third out, got stuck in the bottom half of the egg because there wasn't enough room in the little brinsea for him to kick out. Poor guy sat in his egg for 12 hours after zipping! Finally moved him to Uglybator, where he kicked out just fine.

Well, my first round of Green Egg chicks have hatched! I had 4 out of 5 viable eggs hatch and their colors have really surprised me! Two are dark, with black legs/beaks and two are grey with peach legs/beaks. The last one out is still wet in the bator. He had a bleeding navel when he first hatched, but it seems to have stopped now. Hopefully he will fluff up soon and join his siblings in the brooder. :)

Third out, got stuck in the bottom half of the egg because there wasn't enough room in the little brinsea for him to kick out. Poor guy sat in his egg for 12 hours after zipping! Finally moved him to Uglybator, where he kicked out just fine.
First one looks like it's minus a tail. Good sign. Too bad you don't know what sex they are yet.

First one looks like it's minus a tail. Good sign. Too bad you don't know what sex they are yet.
I inspected them closer and the first one does not have a tail indeed! All the other three have a little nub point with foof, so they do have tails! I have two more due in 4 days, and I plan to start another 7 today! My plan is to process or sell the roosters I get and my pops will take the excess hens. Then when they start laying, if the green is a go, I will start selling eggs/chicks.
That's the long term plan anyway!
thumbsup.gif

So i will probably be starting my EE serama project soon. I might be getting some EE cockerals this month or the next! Once they grow up a little i should be able to start!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom