Grit-wise...

ReseisCL16

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2014
So I am on the cusp of getting two pairs of Portuguese Tumbler pigeons in the next few days and I have been spending a whole lot of time pulling together a loft and covering all my bases. I've done chickens for close to 9 years now, and I'm very familiar with them, so pigeons are definitely something new. I have read that grit is required for pigeon health, but I have seen conflicting views expressed in BYC. Some say they just feed their pigeons oyster shells, but others say that these are too high in calcium and can harm the birds' livers unless they are laying. Most people say to use red granite grit, but I can't seem to find any in my area or on Amazon. Everyone says they give the grit to the birds 24/7. I also already have quite a bit of oyster shells for my chickens, but I don't want to harm my new pairs! Any help would be super appreciated!

Oh, and I also cannot seem to find how much to feed non-laying or setting pigeons. How much does everyone feed theirs?

I personnally dont think oyster shell harms them, but you need to make it small enough for them to get it down. My birds have never had oyster shell before,i just use chick grit. As far as feeding goes experiment to see how much they will eat in 10 min. thats what I reccomend. But if your breeding have food avalible all the time.
So I am on the cusp of getting two pairs of Portuguese Tumbler pigeons in the next few days and I have been spending a whole lot of time pulling together a loft and covering all my bases. I've done chickens for close to 9 years now, and I'm very familiar with them, so pigeons are definitely something new. I have read that grit is required for pigeon health, but I have seen conflicting views expressed in BYC. Some say they just feed their pigeons oyster shells, but others say that these are too high in calcium and can harm the birds' livers unless they are laying. Most people say to use red granite grit, but I can't seem to find any in my area or on Amazon. Everyone says they give the grit to the birds 24/7. I also already have quite a bit of oyster shells for my chickens, but I don't want to harm my new pairs! Any help would be super appreciated!

Oh, and I also cannot seem to find how much to feed non-laying or setting pigeons. How much does everyone feed theirs?

Mine have a grit specially for pigeons. It has grit, charcoal, red stone, oyster shell and anise. They don't need the oyster shell the same way a chicken does as they don't lay eggs in the amount that chickens do. But if you take the eggs away they will lay again and this can be very hard on them, so they would need switching with false eggs. The grit does contain minerals that they need but that can be supplemented with a pickstone or mineral block. Allow them access to grit and fresh When feeding mine I feed in the evening or late afternoon and remove there feed in the morning. This helps to keep them hungry for a quick return to the loft whilst flying. You can also fill the feed container leave them for about 15-20 minutes and remove the feed. You would need to do this twice a day though. This is a good company that sells alot of pigeon supplies and they do delivery.
https://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/

I have grit available to pigeons freechoice all the time. Purchased a 50 pound bag, that may last me a lifetime. :gigor at least many years. It is most likely same a ChickencountryUK is using. It has trace minerals in it.
https://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/natural-granen/5026-natural-s-red-stone-grit-5-lbs
Oyster shells will not harm your pigeons. I mixed them into container with the grit. Pigeons pick out what they need. I offer same mix to my chickens BTW.
Copy and paste about that subject....
A new larger and more economical natural red clay grit that birds love. Use as is or add to your oyster shell grit. Another idea is to mix it with our #676 Grit Concentrate. Rich in minerals and trace elements, a must before and during the egg laying period. 100% natural. Fired at very high temperature (over 1000 degrees C) in a special furnace, before being ground. 100% natural. Imported from Belgium.
Feed your pigeons PIGEON FEED. It is different than chicken feed pellets. You can feed them Alflock Pellets, but my pigeons just did not choose to eat this. In a bind,,,,,, get WILD BIRD SEEDS mixture.
Just offer a dish of feed inside loft at all times. When you decide to do training, then you change to a different feeding schedule. By then you will have more of your own pigeon knowledge to determine amounts.
Different pigeons with different activities will consume different quantities of seeds. Its not one size fit all.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Everyone says they give the grit to the birds 24/7.
I fly my birds every day practically with few exceptions. I do not supply extra grit to my pigeons. However their main staple is Purina chicken layer pellets (which has some sort of grit additive). I do see my birds picking grit from the roof of my buildings and also as they forage outside.

If you already have chickens, consider seeing how your pigeons do on a non-medicated chicken layer pellet like what Hokum said above. Grit is not needed if you feed a pelletized food.

But with normal grain/seed food, pigeons need grit. I think they'd probably do ok on oyster shell, but I do think the calcium issue is something to keep in mind. I would be more concerned with the size of the oyster grit, chicken grit IMO is too large for pigeons. You can get a 10lb bag of red pigeon grit (I believe it is clay) online for $10, and about $20 with shipping from Foy's Pigeon Supplies, here is the link:
https://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/pigeon-grit-feed-grains/7011-red-pigeon-grit-10-lbs

This red pigeon grit even has anise oil in it, which pigeons LOVE. Your pigeons would be well served if you gave them this red pigeon grit with crushed oyster shells mixed in, but not chicken size, it should be smaller, maybe just crush it up a bit. Mixing in charcoal grit is also great for them.

Did you get your birds yet?:wee
Can we see pics?:caf

Pigeons will steal your heart!:hugs

Thank you everyone for the tips! This is super helpful!
I just got the pigeons, and they are adorable! They make the sweetest noise when they fly. My chickens and goats aren't sure what to think of these new cuties. :love
20181024_123855_1540406451366.jpg
20181024_170338.jpg

Thank you! I homemade the boxes and perches from scrap wood. I actually got the loft itself off Craigslist as a brand new rabbit hutch. It was so heavy, I couldn't move it and in order to get it into the correct place, I had to roll it on logs Egyptian-style. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom