Gun control and the second amendment....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me the purpose of an assault rifle. No good for indoor shooting for home defense, worthless as a hunting rifle, I know because we have an AR. All it is good for is to play with. They are not trying to ban ALL guns just the assault rifle. There was a ban on them until 2004 and it was let to run out. They want it reinstated. People who want to argue the point about how these guns are so wonderful, try explaining that to those kids parents, or the families in Colorado. As for MY child it is MY decision to what she is exposed to and in MY opinion, arming teachers is not the answer. It is my RIGHT to have an opinion, or do you have an argument for that too? Or are those constitutional rights only good for the ones who are ranting about their rights as gun owners?
You have every right to home school or not if you chose. I am not the one trying to tell anyone to give up a right... You want me to give up one.

My AR15 is the best rifle I own. It is used every day for hunting, home protection an target shooting all over the country. It is light enough for me, a disabled man to use an it has a place to hold a flashlight an biped. An the main thing is it is not a bolt action. So it is the perfect rifle for me, shooting with one hand. Your opinion on its use matters as much to me as my opinion on your kids does to you. Dont ask me to give up my rights an then tell me about yours. It does not work that way.

No gun is safe with the right idiot behind it.

This is a valid statement.
So should we try fixing the mentally ill or penalize those who abide by the law?

We do need better mental health laws, but penalizing the law abiding will do nothing. If the guns are out there and they want it, they will get it. As the shooter in Connecticut did. He took his mothers guns. Would it have done any good to have her mentally screened when her son was the one with issues? Will they screen the whole family before you can purchase a firearm?

Tell me the purpose of an assault rifle. No good for indoor shooting for home defense, worthless as a hunting rifle, I know because we have an AR. All it is good for is to play with. They are not trying to ban ALL guns just the assault rifle. There was a ban on them until 2004 and it was let to run out. They want it reinstated. People who want to argue the point about how these guns are so wonderful, try explaining that to those kids parents, or the families in Colorado. As for MY child it is MY decision to what she is exposed to and in MY opinion, arming teachers is not the answer. It is my RIGHT to have an opinion, or do you have an argument for that too? Or are those constitutional rights only good for the ones who are ranting about their rights as gun owners?

You have every right to home school or not if you chose. I am not the one trying to tell anyone to give up a right... You want me to give up one.

My AR15 is the best rifle I own. It is used every day for hunting, home protection an target shooting all over the country. It is light enough for me, a disabled man to use an it has a place to hold a flashlight an biped. An the main thing is it is not a bolt action. So it is the perfect rifle for me, shooting with one hand. Your opinion on its use matters as much to me as my opinion on your kids does to you. Dont ask me to give up my rights an then tell me about yours. It does not work that way.

My point is that you are looking at it as a personal issue. I am looking at it as a greater common good issue. We have an AR also and my husband loves it, but he would give it up in a heart beat if it will save others lives in the bigger picture.

My point is that you are looking at it as a personal issue. I am looking at it as a greater common good issue. We have an AR also and my husband loves it, but he would give it up in a heart beat if it will save others lives in the bigger picture.
No you are also looking at it as a personal issue. You are talking about your rights. It goes both ways. You do not want to give up your rights for the "greater common good" so why should I. Two way street.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404721,00.html#ixzz2FF7HwL1a

thumbsup.gif

They do that because they don't have much of a regular army. Kids are trained as conscripts and then become reservists. They keep their military guns at home, probably bolt action hunting rifles, but there's no mention of ammunition in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland

There's not much of a comparison between traditionally neutral and pacifist Switzerland with it's military-controlled weapons and the state of affairs that is leading to massacres in the US. Try another comparison.

Foe example, after their own massacres, the UK and Australia banned certain types of weapon that civilians don't have real need to own and that has successfully reduced that kind of gun crime. You cannot prevent violent crime completely and I don't propose a complete ban on self-defence weapons but, surely, the time has come to consider in the US the right of people to go about their business without fear of the kind of event that is now becoming so common.

Exactly how many times do I have to point out to people like you that the UK has a violent crime rate that is higher than South Africa? Compared to the UK, the US is a freaking haven of peace and serenity. What good does reducing gun crime do when violent crime as a whole goes up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

Your entire argument is out the window - you're arguing based on feelings, not facts.

By the way, Thai, if I'm not mistaken, the rifle issued to Swiss militia is the SIG556, a fully-automatic select-fire 5.56mm combat rifle that uses a gas-piston operating system.

For the record, I did not describe a bolt-action hunting rifle.

The AR-15 is the modern musket. It can be used very effectively for hunting hogs and even deer, home defense (Come on, where are you getting the idea it's no good for indoors?), plinking, predator extermination, and is all in all a highly effective weapon in terms of the "don't tread on me" factor. As a matter of fact, I'm considering getting a .30 caliber barrel for mine so that I can use .300 Blackout rounds for deer.

I was under the impression, too, that the shooter used two 9mm handguns, not the rifle. Was I mistaken?

More importantly, why is the outcry always over BIGSCARYWEAPONS when the top guns used in crimes are tiny, small-caliber pistols with itty-bitty magazines?

You are all arguing solely from emotion. High-profile may get everyone's attention, but it's high-profile because it's incredibly rare.

We do need better mental health laws, but penalizing the law abiding will do nothing. If the guns are out there and they want it, they will get it. As the shooter in Connecticut did. He took his mothers guns. Would it have done any good to have her mentally screened when her son was the one with issues? Will they screen the whole family before you can purchase a firearm?

Unfortunately the knee jerk reaction is to penalize the law abiding. Also unfortunate is that this is a very complex issue with few easy answers. It is well agreed by all that he should never have had access to firearms and that places the blame at the feet of his mother. If a mother has a child that is an alcoholic, is it prudent for her to keep alcohol where it can be easily obtained? Like I said, it is complex and the answers aren't easy to find. I do think that if this kid had been diagnosed and treated properly, they we wouldn't be having this discussion and we'd be talking about happy Christmas chicken stuff.

BonnieDale. To state once again, the purpose of the 2nd amendment is to afford the people the same capabilities to defend themselves against an oppressive government. The combat rifles that many of us own are fun to use for target shooting, but in the end, they are our best protection for a government that exceeds it's constitutional authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom