Halloween Hatch-A-Long 2017

Pics
Have any of you ever had an egg develop, but the CAM not fully develop and leave a large clear area on the side of the egg??
I have one this happened on, but there is still very strong movement inside. I have expected it to quit for the last week, but it's still going strong. Although the embryo looks smaller than the rest. But I think the clear area is obscuring the candling.

Just wondering if anyone ever has this happen, and results? It's a first for me.
How far up? I have had many eggs with CAM not fully developed at bottom, only shipped... really kills my hatch rates, generally around lockdown. They just run out of room.

How far up? I have had many eggs with CAM not fully developed at bottom, only shipped... really kills my hatch rates, generally around lockdown. They just run out of room.

This is like one whole side of the egg, from air cell to pointy end! There may be some blood vessels near the point that go all the way around, but I've never had an area this large. I'll get a pic. I don't have very high hopes for it.

This is like one whole side of the egg, from air cell to pointy end! There may be some blood vessels near the point that go all the way around, but I've never had an area this large. I'll get a pic. I don't have very high hopes for it.
Ouch, sounds bad. I don't think I've had any worse than this... maybe a bit larger.
I considered turning issues but they're in an autoturner that I had great hatches with before I quit hatching local eggs, so I really don't think it's that.
EGG.jpeg

Was it shipped?

Not shipped. My Call eggs.
It does seem like a turning issue, but i hand turn these. They are in rows. I pick up one from one end, roll the whole row to the empty space, insert the first one back at the other end. So they all travel across the bator at one time or another, and all get rolled the same.
surprisingly, it seems to have filled a bit overnight. But today is day 23!!
If i saw these pics from a newbie, I'd guess quitter, but for now, it's still very active. But i expect it will quit.
just took these. Pencil line in the first pic has been clear all along. Till this morning. I left the clear area side up overnight.
WP_20171024_07_31_08_Pro_LI (2).jpg WP_20171024_07_30_37_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20171024_07_29_59_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20171024_07_29_51_Pro_LI.jpg

Not shipped. My Call eggs.
It does seem like a turning issue, but i hand turn these. They are in rows. I pick up one from one end, roll the whole row to the empty space, insert the first one back at the other end. So they all travel across the bator at one time or another, and all get rolled the same.
surprisingly, it seems to have filled a bit overnight. But today is day 23!!
If i saw these pics from a newbie, I'd guess quitter, but for now, it's still very active. But i expect it will quit.
just took these. Pencil line in the first pic has been clear all along. Till this morning. I left the clear area side up overnight.
View attachment 1168176 View attachment 1168177 View attachment 1168178 View attachment 1168179
:fl maybe it will pull through. Looks like it's rather saddled air cell-ish in shape?? That's better than it not closing right at the bottom...

:fl maybe it will pull through. Looks like it's rather saddled air cell-ish in shape?? That's better than it not closing right at the bottom...

Thanks. I guess we'll see in a few days.
I took a video last night. I'll get a freeze frame of the area later. Kinda interesting though huh.

A thought, this could have been an egg that laid outside for an extra day (or more), since they tend to hide eggs, some days i find ones from previous days. wish i knew for sure.

If someone hasn't already asked this question, has anyone thought ahead to what they plan to name their little Halloween hatchlings? Any good Halloween-type names?
i have a great name!! One of the best for things that hatch on Halloween!
Liz!!

umm hey @BantyChooks i thought we were making it a rule that at least one bird from each person hatching had to be named Liz :pop
I was thinking something Halloween-ish but I don't know what yet. Pumpkin or maybe Jack (o-lantern). Haunter or Winnefred, Mary, and Sarah (the Sanderson Sisters). Guess it depends what colors they are when they hatch.
:thumbsup

Mine don't normally get names until I know they are hens or a keeper roo..... actually some of my long time hens don't have names...... and my kids find my names to be unimaginative, we have a white leghorn roo named white
i have lots that are named from colors, and others foods/veggies/animals

Looks like I'm out. I'm pretty sure that my last egg quit on me. I have 3 more in, due at later dates but I'm not setting and more. If these don't hatch, no more seramas till I start setting lots of eggs again.
:fl and :hugs

So candled and had of the original 15 that were given to me, 2 more quit. So down to 12 now.

The fridge eggs that were 4, then down to 2, there is still 2 going strong.

The ebay shipped eggs that were two, one quit, so down to one.

So 15 eggs left
good luck with the others!!! :fl :fl

Have any of you ever had an egg develop, but the CAM not fully develop and leave a large clear area on the side of the egg??
I have one this happened on, but there is still very strong movement inside. I have expected it to quit for the last week, but it's still going strong. Although the embryo looks smaller than the rest. But I think the clear area is obscuring the candling.

Just wondering if anyone ever has this happen, and results? It's a first for me.
YES!! with my calls, like one half of the egg almost if you were to cut it the long way
they hatched fine :confused:

Back
Top Bottom