I'm happy to become a lurker. I only have one hen still laying. I don't think I'll set again till December.
The others are beginning to molt or in recovery. I finished a hatch of 9 on Saturday and have 6 eggs due sporadically through this month.
I'm starting to run out of housing space. I need to get another building redone by the time I set eggs again. And sell and eat some birds.

I had a bit of a disaster with my quail eggs. The male, who was parent raised so should be the perfect father, went nutty and killed three babies. I rescued the other eggs and hatched 3 of them. This morning I went down and the male was behaving very strangely again - then I heard a baby peeping! The older hen was protecting it. I whipped the baby out and took it back to the house to put in with the other 3 chicks, then I went and got the hen to see if she'd adopt all 4. She's been helping to raise chicks since she herself was still a chick and she accepted them no problem. She's amazing! So I am very happy that she'll do all the hard work of raising them.

Spicey.jpg

Cutie.jpg

1 2 3.jpg

There are 2 Caramel chicks and 2 Dilute chicks (not sure what else to call that colour - it's the wild colours and patterns just lighter - very pretty). My two favourite colours.

Yay for dux eggs! All my dux hens are molting right now, so no eggs.:(
This is a FIRST for me. Having 2 Drakes and 1 female, double the chances for fertilization. I could have set more but...????? The 3 young adults are a handful already. I enjoy my water fowl in MODERATION! :p
I haven't decided on what Chicken breed to set on the tenth yet. My Chicken population is overloaded right now. Insane numbers.:caf
Unfortunately they used wood chips as buffer not bubble wrap. Not just cracked but smashed. It was double boxed with one end fairly crushed. So trip was hard on them.
Positive note the eggs were very fresh. Small air cells that didn’t appear to be floating.
They are resting now till tomorrow.
"they used wood chips as buffer not bubble wrap."
byc mike drop.gif
I'm speechless.
following :caf
fantastic.gif
hi.gif

:popI have no eggs in The bator right now but I would love to fallow along anyway!
Join us in the egg decorating contest!
2018 Halloween Hatch-A-Long "EGG DECORATING CONTEST"
I'm working on an ocean for my EE's eggs, and a haunted house for my Glw's!
:goodpost::thumbsup
Well now, I ALWAYS love to paint eggs!!!! :yesss
But I'm not fantastic at it so I'm not expecting to get far :gig
I am looking forward!:wee

Back
Top Bottom