Has anyone used Oxine as a Wound cleaner?

daytonfarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Maryland
Treating a rooster with tremendous wounds, neck, and back from a fox. He has survived the night and so we want to give him a chance. The hole in his neck is so deep that you can see the spine. Punctures everywhere on this poor guy. But he seems to have a will to live. We hydrated him last night and this morning he perks up when he hears his girls (the ones left) We want to really clean out the wounds to prevent infection,
What I have on hand
Oxine, peroxide, betadine, antibiotic ointment(no pain killers), Tylan 50 (water soluble), aspirin, vet wrap and gauze.

He is able to stand, but can't hold his head up, therefor he falls over, so I know the neck is the issue. Swelling looks better this morning. We are tubing him with water and aspirin.

Any suggestions?

I have to say that doesn't sound good and a vet is probably the best option with such extensive wounds. Tylan 50 is worth trying but if fox bites are anything like dog bites, you need Augmentin though plain amoxicillin may suffice.

I'm not sure about Oxine but I don't think it would be helpful. H2O2 is no longer recommended for wound cleaning as it's said to damage tissue. Betadine and the antibiotic ointment would probably be safe and helpful.

Aspirin would impair blood clotting and make him more likely to bleed out. I would stop administering it immediately.

Bleeding hasn't been a problem, swelling and pain are the problems. We found some wound cleaner, saline solution and flushed everything out. After further inspection of his back he really has minor injuries there. His neck has a hole a little bigger then a quarter in it. Last night we could see the neck bones, today not so much. the bruising is significant.
More worried now that he might have brain damage due to lack of oxygen.

It sounds as though you are doing everything you can. He may still be in shock. Can he eat some wet feed? Please keep us updated on his condition. I haven't used oxine, but I think betadine works fine. Hibaclens is another good anti-infective wash that our hospital uses to cleanse skin wounds.

He's still with us. Still tubing him with fluids and food. Swelling around the hole has gone down but the entire neck is at least double the size. If you support him he can stand on his own. Just need to hold the head up. Color is good, bright eyes.

Glad to hear he is doing that well. The swelling should peak out pretty soon, and he will probably start getting better. Hopefully, the Tylan will keep him from getting an abcess. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom