HELP; failure to thrive chick, legs extended in front of her.

chicklex

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
image.jpg

Hi everyone. This is Cheeks! She is an easter egger, 2 weeks old, vaccinated, on medicated starter. Growing well up until I found her very lethargic and dehydrated Monday (6/26) around 11am. She is unable to stand on her own, with her legs falling out from under her like this every time. She flaps her wings and tries to steady herself but ultimately lays on her side with legs beside her, straight onto her face with (usually one) leg behind, or like you see here, on her butt with legs in front of her. She is alert when handled/awake and chirps a little occasionally, but mostly laying with beak straight in the shavings and with eyes closed.

She’s not eating/drinking on her own. I’ve been assisting her in drinking, think I’ve had some success in getting her to eat a little crumble when I stick it on her beak a little wet. I know she’s consumed a good bit of egg yolk as well (drop on beak from syringe). I’ve supplied ND straight to beak via cotton swab, water has electrolytes & probiotics. Is there anything additional anyone can suggest to help her? I just can’t bring myself to give up on her but understand that sometimes it’s just failure to thrive. Is the leg issue just related to stress/lethargy, or does anyone think it’s a sign of something else? Any input appreciated.

I'm so sorry. It doesn't sound like she is doing well. I understand you want everything you can to keep her alive, but you may have to let her go. Keep doing what you are doing and she if it makes a difference.
I was pretty sure this would be the case but figured it was worth asking :( I’ve been having the moral dilemma with myself between “it’s cruel to keep messing with her” and “it’s cruel to give up on her”. Thank you for replying <3

I also would try human B complex which has riboflavin. Crush 1/2 tablet in a spoonful of water and put a couple drops into her beak a few times a day. Poultry Cell has riboflavin, but NutriDrench does not. Hoping that you can save this chick.
GENERAL UPDATE: she made it through the night again!! I actually had all but withdrawn care throughout the night. I simply can’t sustain multiple wake ups throughout the night and had kinda left it up in the air.

@Eggcessive, I can get Rooster Booster’s Poultry Cell or Vitamin B-12 Plus Vitamin K at my local TSC today. Any recommendations for one over the other, or would you recommend human B complex over those?

She’s brighter in her eyes today. I truly believe she could pull through if I could get her standing, but it’s impossible to eat/drink on her own when she can’t stand.

B complex or super b complex is cheap, and can be used for chick vitamins crushed in a spoonful water or a little food. It has all B’s. It has a long shelf life and can be used by yourself. The riboflavin is good for chicken leg issues. You don’t need B12 or vitamin K for your chick’s issues. There is B12 in B complex, along with all B’s. If you already had Poultry Cell, that would be fine to use, but the B complex would cost the same or less. Here is one for less than $5 at Walgreens:
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/n...7LzJDPc3LBjeUmnBOgDmWCg0-LC8sWNYaAtEyEALw_wcB

B complex or super b complex is cheap, and can be used for chick vitamins crushed in a spoonful water or a little food. It has all B’s. It has a long shelf life and can be used by yourself. The riboflavin is good for chicken leg issues. You don’t need B12 or vitamin K for your chick’s issues. There is B12 in B complex, along with all B’s. If you already had Poultry Cell, that would be fine to use, but the B complex would cost the same or less. Here is one for less than $5 at Walgreens:
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/nature-made-super-b-complex-with-vitamin-c-and-folic-acid-tablets/ID=prod6149174-product?ext=gooFY23_GOO_RET_RETAILDEMANDGEN_Performance+Max+-+Vitamins_REV_SRC_PMAX_PMAX_NA_PMAX_ENG__pla_online&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtO-kBhDIARIsAL6LordKukC6la2y6K-dYrligSi7LzJDPc3LBjeUmnBOgDmWCg0-LC8sWNYaAtEyEALw_wcB
So deeply appreciate your speedy response and advice. Making my way to the drugstore now!!

Back
Top Bottom