HELP HELP HELP

Dawng97

Chirping
May 2, 2019
Northern New Jersey
so I had a bunch of bantom and golden comets.... 10 total. 1 tur Ed out to be a rooster, a bantom he is beautiful. He has always been so friendly until recently. One night something got into their run and coop and ate 7 of them. There was nothing left of any of them. 1 comet and the rooster and another bantom hen got away. We reinforced the housing area. Chicken Chad aka the rooster, was very very submissive after that attack.... for about a week. He started back up with occasional aggressive behavior but nothing a little running away or holding a stick wouldn't stop lol! Fast forward 2 nights ago, something AGAIN was able to get in there and killed the 2 hens LEAVING THE MEAN ROOSTER BEHIND....AGAIN!!! I felt horrible. I feel bad he is all alone and he refused to go in his coop last night. I was actually going to put a diaper on him and bring him in
I sat with him on the couch for an hour before lock up time for him and just fell asleep on my chest while I pet him. Well, before my husband divorces me and I was putting on a diaper, he said he had to go in the coop. Icarried him out locked him up. I just let him out and he did this funny side stepping dance and held his wings low. All it took was a NO! and he stopped. I just read i am thinking thats the wing dance. Do you think it was his aggressive behavior coming back or now a mating dance becaue he is alone? Now he is staring at me in the kitchen window crowing up a storm. Anyone have anything like this happen before? . I got him a day old chick back in February for his age. Attached is a picture of chicken Chad.

Attachments

• 20200704_054403.jpg
    20200704_054403.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 12
Sorry to hear about the 9 birds that died.

Are you going to keep him?
Are you planning on getting more hens?
Are there any ways you can make your coop more predator safe?

My boys dance around me all the time.
On its own, I don't consider it as aggressive behaviour, but if he is showing other signs then you may want to let him go.
I actually think the sidestepping/dancing around act is adorable.

If you aren't planning on getting any more birds, I would not keep the rooster. It just wouldn't be fair on him.
Is there anyone near you who would take a rooster?
I would not keep him indoors. I do take my birds inside temporarily while they are ill, but I like to try and keep their lifestyle as normal as possible. And I make sure they have contact with other members of their flock even during illness.
I would consider trying to find a home for him where he can live a normal, happy life.
He is very handsome by the way.

Sorry to hear about the 9 birds that died.

Are you going to keep him?
Are you planning on getting more hens?
Are there any ways you can make your coop more predator safe?

My boys dance around me all the time.
On its own, I don't consider it as aggressive behaviour, but if he is showing other signs then you may want to let him go.
I actually think the sidestepping/dancing around act is adorable.

If you aren't planning on getting any more birds, I would not keep the rooster. It just wouldn't be fair on him.
Is there anyone near you who would take a rooster?
I would not keep him indoors. I do take my birds inside temporarily while they are ill, but I like to try and keep their lifestyle as normal as possible. And I make sure they have contact with other members of their flock even during illness.
I would consider trying to find a home for him where he can live a normal, happy life.
He is very handsome by the way.

My husband is going to really predators proof the coop and run today. I have no idea what could be gettinv them. I've heard red fox calls several times but would foxes really eat 7 in one night?! Leaving nothing behind?? I am considering getting a couple full grown hens. I have no idea where to even look but we have a lot of farms around here. He is very pretty, he has chased me and my children before and when we went to pick him up he has nipped but not drawn blood. He goes back and forth between moods it seems. He is tiny at only 2 pounds, but a huge personality. I can handle myself with a 2 pound rooster, which usually means running away, but I have small kids and that worries me a bit they have both been nipped. If I do not get anymore hens, which may be the answer becUse I am jusr so uoset about what has happened i will definitely try to remove him. I will not have him killed so he can stay as long as he needs until I find him the right place if need be. Thank you for your help!

No problem.
I had two mean boys before. One settled down. The other was his brother and used to peck and jump at my face. I kept them both, but I didn't have to worry about very young children.
I hope you can get it sorted out.
He's beautiful and I always love to hear of a rooster getting a good home.
Personally, I have had most success being very close to my boys; I give them regular hugs. That might not work for you though.
Let me know how it goes.

No problem.
I had two mean boys before. One settled down. The other was his brother and used to peck and jump at my face. I kept them both, but I didn't have to worry about very young children.
I hope you can get it sorted out.
He's beautiful and I always love to hear of a rooster getting a good home.
Personally, I have had most success being very close to my boys; I give them regular hugs. That might not work for you though.
Let me know how it goes.

Will do thanks again!

My husband is going to really predators proof the coop and run today. I have no idea what could be gettinv them. I've heard red fox calls several times but would foxes really eat 7 in one night?! Leaving nothing behind?? I am considering getting a couple full grown hens. I have no idea where to even look but we have a lot of farms around here. He is very pretty, he has chased me and my children before and when we went to pick him up he has nipped but not drawn blood. He goes back and forth between moods it seems. He is tiny at only 2 pounds, but a huge personality. I can handle myself with a 2 pound rooster, which usually means running away, but I have small kids and that worries me a bit they have both been nipped.

Post your coop and run here if you have questions about how to best predator proof it - I would not add any more chickens until the set up has been completely reinforced.

I am concerned about your little kids. He's still a young bird so his aggression could worsen as his hormones fluctuate. Personally I would not choose to keep a cockerel with young children, unless he's kept locked up so he cannot sneak up on them or interact with them without an adult being there. If this is something you're worried about - or if you decide against getting more chickens at this time - I'd give strong consideration to rehoming him.

I will get pictures tomorrow.... i will not get any more until its done and safe. He is floating around but is more docile the last 2 days. My kids do not go neR him anymore right now like they used to. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom