Shoo it away? So it can come back tomorrow and eat my eggs again??? And ... how does this work, exactly? Should I set up a rocking chair and sit in the coop 24/7 and watch for it to show up? It was just a matter of pure happenstance that I saw the snake that had been eating my eggs for who knows how long when I did. Shooing is not a viable option, sorry.

Shoo it away? So it can come back tomorrow and eat my eggs again??? And ... how does this work, exactly? Should I set up a rocking chair and sit in the coop 24/7 and watch for it to show up? It was just a matter of pure happenstance that I saw the snake that had been eating my eggs for who knows how long when I did. Shooing is not a viable option, sorry.
You could set a bottle trap, or live catch trap (google how to make it- it's easy!).

Okay, I looked up bottle traps. How exactly does this work when the diameter of the snake is bigger than the opening of a 32-oz Coke bottle? I'm not kidding when I say my snake was about the diameter of my wrist and between four and five feet long. It would not have fit in a Coke bottle. I'm five feet tall, by the way.

Attachments

• 20190703_184217.jpg
    20190703_184217.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 9
Try a minnow trap instead. I hear they work quite well if baited with an egg or two and placed along a wall or fenceline the snake would naturally travel along. Several of my friends that breed exotic doves and the like in outdoor aviaries use them. I'm debating getting a couple to try out around the house.

Try a minnow trap instead. I hear they work quite well if baited with an egg or two and placed along a wall or fenceline the snake would naturally travel along. Several of my friends that breed exotic doves and the like in outdoor aviaries use them. I'm debating getting a couple to try out around the house.

I'll look into it, thanks. BTW, nice looking roo in your avatar!

I just did a little identification test to help me narrow it down and it says an “Everglades Racer”. So I'm not as concerned as before (phew!!). There are a few rats and mice here so maybe thats why its around?? When my girls lay eggs I always put them inside right away. I’ll still keep an eye out for it though. Thanks again! Everyone helped so much..The little guy was so darn cute thats for sure!
I am in Ocala and we have those snakes. They climb up into the bird nests and eat their eggs. They also eat those small green tree frogs and lizards. If they start eating my chickens eggs, war will begin. Right now we are at peace. LOL

Back
Top Bottom