Relocating snakes to a new habitat is rarely successful. They tend to die a slow death. Typically there will already be snakes where one is relocated, so there becomes a need for a sheltered area for it to live. The established snakes will run off a newcomer. Too, they don't know where the food, and water sources are located, so they often die of starvation, or dehydration. If there is only one, yes, shooing it off, often works.

Agree, that’s some sort of racer.

I’d be surprised if its any sort of major threat to your chickens. Although I’ve come to the point that rat snakes are no longer welcome on my farm, I would have to see some evidence that a racer is a threat to chickens.
We have had a couple big ones and several small ones living under our house at different points (such as now), and they've never bothered the chickens.
I think the biggest threat we'd have would be eggs being eaten, and they cannot get into our coop anyways.
On an unrelated note, our full grown cat that will hunt, kill and eat rabbits and birds is afraid of them. He used to rub up on the hardware cloth and the chickens would wander up in curiosity. He stopped. I think he finally got too close and they discovered the "fascinating" taste of Georgie hair.

I did not make up the stuff about relocating a snake. There are several sites like this claiming that newer studies are showing that where, and how far away greatly impact their survival.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.o...ake-great-basin-inquiring-minds-want-know4413

I followed link. When I move Black Rat Snakes a little over 100 yards, they more often than not return to point of capture within a few days. They have scars in scale pattern making ID easy. Most Relocation in that situation has minimal impact on snake presence in barn where they cause trouble. Species may vary greatly in terms of how they respond to relocation. Most I think be impacted negatively. Sometimes negative impacts related to relocation though for snake may be less of a problem when compared being killed in place.

Last edited:
I followed link. When I move Black Rat Snakes a little over 100 yards, they more often than not return to point of capture within a few days. They have scars in scale pattern making ID easy. Most Relocation in that situation has minimal impact on snake presence in barn where they cause trouble. Species may vary greatly in terms of how they respond to relocation. Most I think be impacted negatively. Sometimes negative impacts related to relocation though for snake may be less of a problem when compared being killed in place.
I am thinking a relocation, as far as the snake is personally concerned, if preferable to death by hoe. If I were a snake I'd rather take my chances.

Back
Top Bottom