HELP!! Introducing new female to flock!!!

Cglauzun

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
I just got a new female duck for my drake. She was born May 29th. When can I start introducing her to the drake? There is one other female duck and 11 chickens. Someone told me to wait until she is 6 months so the drake doesn't kill her. Is that true? My flock is free range and my backyard is fairly large. There is a lot of room for her to get away. Thanks!

Is she fully feathered? Do you have pics?
It sounds like you want to introduce them, so if that is what you want to do, then do it. I have muscovies, so thought it might be a difference like that. I guess if you thought he was hurting her, you can re-separate.
Most of the posts that I have read, say to keep the younger ones separate until at least 4 or 5 months (or until laying eggs). They are your ducks though, so whatever you feel comfortable with, do it.

Is she fully feathered? Do you have pics?
It sounds like you want to introduce them, so if that is what you want to do, then do it. I have muscovies, so thought it might be a difference like that. I guess if you thought he was hurting her, you can re-separate.
Most of the posts that I have read, say to keep the younger ones separate until at least 4 or 5 months (or until laying eggs). They are your ducks though, so whatever you feel comfortable with, do it.
It would be easier for me if I could introduce them, but I want to be safe about it! If i should wait, then I'll wait!! Here is a picture of Edna!

Attachments

• 20180714_191022.jpg
    20180714_191022.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 8
I would wait until she is older. She looks like a baby. Their reproductive system is not ready even if they look bigger. Needs to be laying before romping with a drake.

Back
Top Bottom