Help me choose a name for my new lab puppy! Update see first post!

Vote if you like the name Kylo or not

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters
This sounds all very strange to me:

You already have a young dog (Talie) in your family. She was raised from puppyhood just fine.

And some weeks ago you started to look for a rescue for yourself. You tried several dogs and very abruptly said dogs were canceld within very short time.

Only days after bringing back the latest rescue dog to the shelter, you get the cutest puppy ever and after just one day/night he is on the "discarding list"?

I am sorry, but this all seems very wrong to me.

Get yourself a big enough dog transport box/dog kennel for the times you cannot be around.

Put him in there with his toys and blanket to make him comfortable. you can feed him in the kennel so he will associate the kennel with something good for him (a puppy his age needs 4 meals daily).

You can also get him used to sleep in the kennel at night and he will accept his kennel as a nice place for a nap or just relaxing.

ETA: Keep in mind the little guy is missing his mother and siblings very much, so he needs you to be around almost all the time. Have the kennel/crate at your bedside at night, so you will notice when he starts to whine and needs to go out to relieve hmself and he will not feel lonely and abondened with you next to him.
X2

The problem I see with this is that they were trying to adopt a dog so they would make room for new dogs that need help but then get a puppy and then dump it in a rescue where dogs that really need somewhere to stay should be. Not impulse-buy puppies
Yes, it would be the last resort. I do know of one rescue that let the current owner keep/foster the dog while the rescue found and approved adopters. I'm sure a Lab puppy would be snapped up.

2x

If your mom hates dogs, why do you already have a dog? Maybe it would be more useful to spend time training/enjoying your current dog versus using all your energy fighting your parents to get a puppy.
Talie is her sister's dog and she said she'll be leaving soon. I bet having Talie and all those other rescues made her mom not like dogs even more.

Talie is her sister's dog and she said she'll be leaving soon. I bet having Talie and all those other rescues made her mom not like dogs even more.
Thanks for the clarification!

Let me put this straight.

My mom grew up with NO pets. So she isn't used to dogs at all. When we got Talie, she was ready for the adventure....but sadly, Talie turned out to be a very naughty and misbehaving beagle dog. This gave my mom a bad first experience with dogs. I tried to tell her that all dogs aren't like Talie, but she couldn't believe that.

Talie is my sister's dog. My sister will be moving out soon (bringing Talie). I asked my parents (since I still live with them) if I could get my own dog to be my best friend and companion. They said yes after a bit of talk. I really wanted to rescue a dog, so we started out with fostering Sydney. (Please keep in mind that fostering is MUCH different than adopting a dog and then dumping him/her. Fostering is to see if the dog is a good fit for your family. Just so happens the 2 dogs we fostered didn't fit in. Please don't consider that "getting a dog and then ditching it".) Sydney didn't work out because she and Talie were both alpha females so they fought. Sydney also wanted to eat the cats.
A couple days later we brought Gwen home. She was such an awesome dog! So loving, happy, calm, etc. Problem was: she had BAD separation anxiety. There was no way she was going to be trained out of it. It was so bad she had to be on meds. We fostered her for almost 2 weeks. She was so perfect! But there was no way I could keep her..... she destroyed stuff and cried if I disappeared for 2 minutes! We had to bring her back because of that. I wanted to do what was best for her and myself. I new she wouldn't be happy with me in the long run.

Then, Kylo. I will admit that we rushed into it a little bit to fast. My mom definitely wasn't ready...which we all found out AFTER bringing him home. She just got very overwhelmed with the two dogs that needed constant work and attention. Don't worry, we didn't just dump Kylo in a shelter or stick him outside. He went to a good friends house where he will get a huge yard and his own private beach! He will be very spoiled and we'll even get to go visit him. Maybe eventually I'll get my own dog.

Thanks for reading.

The problem I see with this is that they were trying to adopt a dog so they would make room for new dogs that need help but then get a puppy and then dump it in a rescue where dogs that really need somewhere to stay should be. Not impulse-buy puppies
This is an untrue statement. We were NOT under any circumstances dumping him. (In a shelter for that matter!) He went to good friends that were specifically looking for a lab puppy and weren't adopting a dog anyway!

(Please keep in mind that fostering is MUCH different than adopting a dog and then dumping him/her. Fostering is to see if the dog is a good fit for your family. Just so happens the 2 dogs we fostered didn't fit in. Please don't consider that "getting a dog and then ditching it".)
Not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out that that's not what fostering is about.
Fostering is taking in a dog in need without the intention of keeping it long term. (Thats why they call dogs that foster families end up keeping "failed fosters")
Fostering is about training and helping a dog acclimate to home life to prepare it for a forever home. It is not a test drive.

I get that you didn't make these decisions yourself, but the human reasons for the upheaval mean nothing to the dog. Going back to the shelter after a brief glimpse at a normal life is hard on a dog no matter what you call it.

Not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out that that's not what fostering is about.
Fostering is taking in a dog in need without the intention of keeping it long term. (Thats why they call dogs that foster families end up keeping "failed fosters")
Fostering is about training and helping a dog acclimate to home life to prepare it for a forever home. It is not a test drive.
You're right. I forgot to point out that what we did was actually called a "slumber party". That's the official name at the shelter, but they just call it "fostering".
I get that you didn't make these decisions yourself, but the human reasons for the upheaval mean nothing to the dog. Going back to the shelter after a brief glimpse at a normal life is hard on a dog no matter what you call it.
Exactly. But how am I supposed to see if a dog is the right fit without a slumber party? It's impossible!

Thanks for the clarification!

Let me put this straight.

My mom grew up with NO pets. So she isn't used to dogs at all. When we got Talie, she was ready for the adventure....but sadly, Talie turned out to be a very naughty and misbehaving beagle dog. This gave my mom a bad first experience with dogs. I tried to tell her that all dogs aren't like Talie, but she couldn't believe that.

Talie is my sister's dog. My sister will be moving out soon (bringing Talie). I asked my parents (since I still live with them) if I could get my own dog to be my best friend and companion. They said yes after a bit of talk. I really wanted to rescue a dog, so we started out with fostering Sydney. (Please keep in mind that fostering is MUCH different than adopting a dog and then dumping him/her. Fostering is to see if the dog is a good fit for your family. Just so happens the 2 dogs we fostered didn't fit in. Please don't consider that "getting a dog and then ditching it".) Sydney didn't work out because she and Talie were both alpha females so they fought. Sydney also wanted to eat the cats.
A couple days later we brought Gwen home. She was such an awesome dog! So loving, happy, calm, etc. Problem was: she had BAD separation anxiety. There was no way she was going to be trained out of it. It was so bad she had to be on meds. We fostered her for almost 2 weeks. She was so perfect! But there was no way I could keep her..... she destroyed stuff and cried if I disappeared for 2 minutes! We had to bring her back because of that. I wanted to do what was best for her and myself. I new she wouldn't be happy with me in the long run.

Then, Kylo. I will admit that we rushed into it a little bit to fast. My mom definitely wasn't ready...which we all found out AFTER bringing him home. She just got very overwhelmed with the two dogs that needed constant work and attention. Don't worry, we didn't just dump Kylo in a shelter or stick him outside. He went to a good friends house where he will get a huge yard and his own private beach! He will be very spoiled and we'll even get to go visit him. Maybe eventually I'll get my own dog.

Thanks for reading.
Im sorry you had to get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom