HELP!!!!! SICK DUCK! PLEASE

I was doing some research and I found this very interesting article that explained it pretty well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=botullism+found+in+pools&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

If it happened in DC, it can def happen here in New Orleans with a much much smaller pool and temp in the upper 90's.

I now feel terrible knowing I could have completely prevented it.
You know this may be the answer and you can beat yourself up forever but if this is what happened then now you need to make sure of the safety of the rest and go forward, a terrible way to learn but it will stay with you forever, I had 4 ducklings hatch here almost 3 weeks ago, Had set them up with a small container with a way to get in and out but Thurs morn when I came out to check on them one was dead in the lil swim container, I had watched them for over 2 weeks go in and out of that water container with out any problems, but this one still died. I am broken hearted by it and have really beat myself up, But I still have 3 healthy ones plus my other 13 adults so I have to now focus on them, I know it's hard I am still trying to figure out what happened. I completely understand how you are feeling...
hugs.gif

Last edited:
K, you did everything you could for that duck... hopefully this information will help others identify and prevent avian botulism in their flock. Keeping pools clean is paramount.

Found this on Avianweb...

Treatment / Recovery:

Birds which live through 48 hours of illness usually recover.

At this time, there are two primary Botulinum Antitoxins available for treatment of wound and foodborne botulism:

Trivalent (A,B,E) Botulinum Antitoxin - deriived from equine sources utilizing whole antibodies (Fab & Fc portions). This antitoxin is available from the local health department via the CDC.

Heptavalent (A,B,C,D,E,F,G) Botulinum Antitoxin - derived from "despeciated" equine IgG antibodies which have had the Fc portion cleaved off leaving the F(ab')2 portions. This is a less immunogenic* antitoxin that is effective against all known strains of botulism where not contraindicated. (*Immunogenicity is the ability of a particular substance to provoke an immune response.)

Under favorable environmental conditions - access to clean water, fair weather conditions and no predation - birds can recover from low doses of the toxin without treatment. Birds that do recover from avian botulism do not show any increased tolerance for the poison and are not resistant to subsequent exposures. There is some evidence that birds may be protected for short periods of time with a vaccine.

The following cause of action is recommended:

Sick birds should be isolated and provided with food and water. 

Wounds should be treated, usually surgically, to remove the source of the toxin-producing bacteria.

Good supportive care with antibiotics and vitamins has been helpful in some cases.

Remove the source of the toxin.  Keep birds away from suspect sources that cannot be removed.

Remove dead birds, supply clean feed and water, clean up around stagnant pools and ensure that all feed is fed in containers and not on the ground.

The toxin is also found in maggots and litter beetles so these must also be controlled.

Link: http://www.avianweb.com/botulism.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to say that I'm so sorry about your duck. :(. I'm going through the same thing right now. My 2 mallards, Daisy and Dixie were fine yesterday morning and when I went out in the afternoon they were in the bushes and I thought they were laying.....then I realized they were sick.....flailing wings, limp necks, losing feathers and couldn't walk. I thought it was heat stroke or niacin but thanks to all the knowledge on this site I learned about botulism. I started a flush with Epsom salts and they are alive over night but don't look good and I feel like they are not going to make it. :(
I, too am beating myself up because I think it may have come from their pool...I clean it every other day but it has gotten so hot and muggy so fast this year....it's already unbearable. It could be from flies......but I try to keep them under control with fly predators and I'm going to start spraying the yard with Farm 360. I'm going to put Oxine in the pool and waterers. :/
I took these ducks as a foster parent for a friend who was overrun with them and then fell in love with them.....originally had 4....one died from niacin deficiency and another was a male that my friend took back. I have had a flock of chickens for 3 years and have had every problem under the sun and I have learned to take it in stride. 2 weeks ago had a chicken with EYP and a week later lost one to heat stroke. But having these ducks go down like this, so quickly is just breaking my heart....it has me in tears and it just feels so unfair to me. I know God has a plan for us and sometimes that includes suffering; trials and tribulations.....but I have to say that I don't understand this one. :/
I send everyone who is going through this my love and support and prayers and as always thank everyone on this site for all their knowledge and fellowship. It would be next to impossible to care for these awesome birdies without all of you. ;)

I wanted to say that I'm so sorry about your duck.
sad.png
. I'm going through the same thing right now. My 2 mallards, Daisy and Dixie were fine yesterday morning and when I went out in the afternoon they were in the bushes and I thought they were laying.....then I realized they were sick.....flailing wings, limp necks, losing feathers and couldn't walk. I thought it was heat stroke or niacin but thanks to all the knowledge on this site I learned about botulism. I started a flush with Epsom salts and they are alive over night but don't look good and I feel like they are not going to make it.
sad.png

I, too am beating myself up because I think it may have come from their pool...I clean it every other day but it has gotten so hot and muggy so fast this year....it's already unbearable. It could be from flies......but I try to keep them under control with fly predators and I'm going to start spraying the yard with Farm 360. I'm going to put Oxine in the pool and waterers.
hmm.png

I took these ducks as a foster parent for a friend who was overrun with them and then fell in love with them.....originally had 4....one died from niacin deficiency and another was a male that my friend took back. I have had a flock of chickens for 3 years and have had every problem under the sun and I have learned to take it in stride. 2 weeks ago had a chicken with EYP and a week later lost one to heat stroke. But having these ducks go down like this, so quickly is just breaking my heart....it has me in tears and it just feels so unfair to me. I know God has a plan for us and sometimes that includes suffering; trials and tribulations.....but I have to say that I don't understand this one.
hmm.png

I send everyone who is going through this my love and support and prayers and as always thank everyone on this site for all their knowledge and fellowship. It would be next to impossible to care for these awesome birdies without all of you.
wink.png
hugs.gif

After the flush, and while giving them abundant fresh water, add some activated charcoal - the dietary supplement, not for cooking - to their water at a tablespoon per quart. It binds toxins in the gut.

Many thanks, Amiga for checking in with me....Daisy is in bad shape and I'm going to leave her in peace and let her head to Rainbow Bridge. Her sissy, Dixie is right next to her and hanging tough but looking rough! I'm heading out to the store and will get some charcoal. Also gave her some gruel of oatmeal and water but I don't think she's eating it. OK, heading out to store
Thanks again. :)

Many thanks, Amiga for checking in with me....Daisy is in bad shape and I'm going to leave her in peace and let her head to Rainbow Bridge. Her sissy, Dixie is right next to her and hanging tough but looking rough! I'm heading out to the store and will get some charcoal. Also gave her some gruel of oatmeal and water but I don't think she's eating it. OK, heading out to store
Thanks again.
smile.png
So sorry to hear this, I hope they will make it through.
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Many thanks for all the love and prayers.....Dixie dead by the time I got home and Daisy is hanging on but I don't imagine she will make it through the night. I know it goes with the territory but tonight it just seems like the cruelest joke. :(

Many thanks for all the love and prayers.....Dixie dead by the time I got home and Daisy is hanging on but I don't imagine she will make it through the night. I know it goes with the territory but tonight it just seems like the cruelest joke.
sad.png
I'm so very sorry.
hugs.gif
were you able to get the activated charcoal, put some into her water and try to get her to drink some.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom