Help with identifying breed and sex of Easter Eggers and other crosses

Midara

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2021
I have a few Easter Eggers and other cross breed pullets or cockerels that I need help with identifying their sex. And also help identifying which crosses they are if possible

My hens are Araucanas (red, lavender, white), Cream Legbars, Black Australorps, black Olive Egger and Black Copper Marans. My roosters are Lavender Araucana (carrying the red/gold gene), a Black Easter Egger/Olive Egger and Black copper Marans. Also none of my Araucana parents are rumpless, they all have tails. The araucana hens all have top knots and the Olive Egger hen has whisker tufts.

This one has a Cream Legbar mother. I believe it is a Cream Legbar cross? Or could it be pure? I hatched some purebred CL's from hatching eggs I bought but this one does not have the same barred feathers like my other pure CL chicks do. Father could be either Lavender Araucana or Black Copper Marans. It is around 2-3 months old. Is it a pullet or a cockerel?

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

2. I think this one is a Black Copper Marans x Araucana. It looks like a Marans chick but it has the top knot. Mother could also possibly be Cream Legbar or Black Australorp. Father BCM or Araucana. It is about 2-3 months old. Male or Female?
IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5825.JPG
IMG_5774.JPG
IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5943.JPG

3. This one has an Olive Egger mother. Father is either another black olive egger, lavender araucana or BCM. I believe it is a pullet as it is the biggest / oldest one and has the smallest comb. It is about 3 months old. Is it a pullet?
IMG_5858.JPG
IMG_5859a.jpg

4. This is either an Easter Egger or Araucana. Mother is either Red Araucana or Cream Legbar. Father is either Lavender Araucana (carrying red gene) or BCM. It is the youngest one. Probably around 2 months old. Male or Female?
IMG_5925.JPG
IMG_5931.JPG
IMG_5932.JPG
IMG_5933.JPG

Here is a picture of them all together showing their age / size differences. The one in the top left corner is the Cream Legbar X. Lower from left to right is: Oliver Egger then BCM X then Red Araucana.
IMG_5903a.jpg

I can’t say I know for sure, are your BCMs the variety with feathered legs? If so, I would guess that your #2 is crossed with an Australorp and not a BCM. If clean legged, then I don’t know! :) They’re all super cute! I am also going to say #1 is a cockerel!

Thank you. I have marans hens with feathered legs and also clean legged. The rooster is clean legged.

Thank you. I have marans hens with feathered legs and also clean legged. The rooster is clean legged.
Oh okay, well then I’m not a lot of help! I do think the two black ones are pullets and the first is a cockerel. Your last one is definitely questionable at the moment! I’d lean cockerel but it’s hard to say!

How do you tell that the legbar one is a boy? Is it the size of his comb, the redness of the comb or the pattern on his feathers?

Back
Top Bottom