HELP!

Jaimes09

Songster
Sep 6, 2021
I have a hen. I think she’s a 5k sweater gamefowl hen and about 5-6 months old. I found her like this 2 days ago. Got told i should give her baking soda in water and it went away at night. Woke up fine on day 2 but in the afternoon that same day i found her with it again and didn’t go away. Today she woke up fine. But samething happened again... After a few hours i saw her having same issue.
The first day i saw it she seemed like she was weak and with no intentions of running or eating but day 2 she was fine with no signs of pain but had that weird neck. Today when i saw her she was kinda weak again like the first time but later in the day she was back to normal without that weird neck.
She has still been eating and drinking…maybe not as much but not to were i am worried of her starving.
Any ideas of what it could be and how i could treat it?

Attachments

• 7056D62C-7696-43E8-B603-EE112F0C3D25.jpeg
    7056D62C-7696-43E8-B603-EE112F0C3D25.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • E3C5741A-66F2-406F-842F-A42FF6FE2394.jpeg
    E3C5741A-66F2-406F-842F-A42FF6FE2394.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 66C20CEA-3D5B-4821-ABC8-42EC5C72306B.jpeg
    66C20CEA-3D5B-4821-ABC8-42EC5C72306B.jpeg
    983.2 KB · Views: 4
This could be an uncommon version of wry neck, although I've never seen it. I have had experience with some uncommon varieties of wry neck, and all respond well to vitamin E 400iu treatment. One gel cap directly in the beak each day until behavior is normal again for several days in a row. Give with a sliver of selenium. These can be bought at any pharmacy selling human vitamins.

Does she seem to have any balance issues? Is she limping or showing any leg weakness? Have you watched her at night to see if she's sleeping in an unusual position?

If the neck issue is resolving on its own, that would be splendid. We may never know what caused it. But if she's weak now from lack of eating for a few days, she needs to be encouraged to eat and drink or she could slip further into weakness and not be able to recover.

Offer water with a little sugar stirred in. This will do two things - get her glucose elevated so she is more alert, and it will make it more likely she will drink the water.

Offer her special feedings of scrambled egg, cottage cheese, boiled rice, grated carrot or applesauce.

If the neck issue is resolving on its own, that would be splendid. We may never know what caused it. But if she's weak now from lack of eating for a few days, she needs to be encouraged to eat and drink or she could slip further into weakness and not be able to recover.

Offer water with a little sugar stirred in. This will do two things - get her glucose elevated so she is more alert, and it will make it more likely she will drink the water.

Offer her special feedings of scrambled egg, cottage cheese, boiled rice, grated carrot or applesauce.
I’ll try that water with some sugar and the fermented feed. If that don’t work hopefully the boiled eggs she loves will work! I’ll also give her that rooster booster incase she does need vitamins. Whatever happens I’ll update y’all in the afternoon! Thank you all so much!

I buy Rooster Booster (vitamins, electrolyte and probiotics) on Amazon or Chewy.com. Locally you might be able to find save-a-chick at the feed store.

I buy Rooster Booster (vitamins, electrolyte and probiotics) on Amazon or Chewy.com. Locally you might be able to find save-a-chick at the feed store.
She’s been doing well for these last 2 days fortunately. But i let her loose today and she seems i energetic. And when i kinda push her with my hand she stumbles. I bought the rooster booster so hoping i can give it to her tomorrow morning. Any tips on how i should feed it to her? You think it’ll help if i get some i na syringe and shoot it in her throat? Or to strong?

Back
Top Bottom