Hen is leaning and breathing funny *Video*

Pics

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
I am feeling really defeated right now. I feel like Orpy is very slowly declining and I just cannot figure out what is the proper care.

I noticed her moving a bit slow on Friday so I brought her in for the night thinking a warm rest and extra food would help. She was in fine spirits Saturday morning so after some egg I brought her outside. Later that afternoon she was not moving much and not interested in the treats so I brought her in for a more thorough check.
Comb was red and plump, eyes bright and aware. Large firm crop and kinda squishy abdomen. Syringe some water and clean her poopy but while hubs researches crop issues. Decided to give olive oil and massage. Woke up to an egg, lighter than usual for her but I thought that was promising. She pooped during the night, green, and crop seemed slightly smaller. I gave her some mush but hubs said no and went back to water and oil and massage. She was pooping more, her crop was softening and her abdomen was not as large. As the day progresses she is leaning more, eyes closing more and breathing slower. I am so upset thinking I am making her worse since she is not improving. Please offer some advice, I am starting to panic.
@Wyorp Rock
@aart
@Eggcessive
@azygous

Yes, you hen has a crop issue, but it may be caused by a stuck egg. I bet that surprises you since she just laid an egg. Very often, more so than people think, two eggs in the same cycle are responsible for not only egg binding, but backed up crop as well.

First, give her a calcium citrate tablet right now. Or a Tums if it's all you can find. If you need to go to the store, get this
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
and give her one whole tablet directly into her beak. Make her comfortable with access to plenty of water to drink and then leave her to rest in a quiet place.

The calcium should strengthen her contractions so she can expel any other egg or tissue obstructing her oviduct, and once she clears that, the crop should also clear.

There may be something else going on, but this is the most common and most likely.

Keep updating on her condition in case we need to rethink this.

How old is she? Besides having a large firm crop, is her lower belly between the legs enlarged or tight? Does she have poultry grit available? What does she eat? Fluids are very important to get her drinking now, and some electrolytes and vitamins could help.

Omg! Thank you! I'm am very upset with myself because my first gut instinct was an egg issue and thought to give calcium. But since I couldn't feel one and I could feel her crop I ignored my gut feeling.

So I have on hand, tums, calcium with rose hips and bone meal powder. I'll attach links. Running to a store at this exact moment is not feasible and I fear she is starting to decline. Thoughts on the best one to give?

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/solgar-vitamin-c-500mg-rose-hips-500-mg-100-tabs

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-228-now-foods-bone-meal-bioavailable-calcium-powder-1-lbs

How old is she?
2 yrs in April
Besides having a large firm crop, is her lower belly between the legs enlarged or tight?
It was larger last night and a bit squishy but has gone down in size though still a little squishy.
Does she have poultry grit available?
Always
What does she eat?
Layer feed. Some treats also but little to forage during the winter.they do free range daily. Last week, or longer, I put a small amount(1/3 of a flake maybe?) of hay to scratch around in but decided it was not a good idea and didn't again. After finding her crop full I removed what was still there.

Fluids are very important to get her drinking now, and some electrolytes and vitamins could help.
Syringing water with added vitamin packet made for poultry.

Thank you so much!

I'm afraid both of those links do not tell what kind of calcium it is. Ideally, calcium citrate is the best for this type of crisis as it is absorbed faster and more completely than calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate. But in a crisis where you don't have the luxury of using the best product, use any thing over 500mg that you have on hand.

Give the tablet this very second right into her mouth. She will have no problem swallowing it.

I'm afraid both of those links do not tell what kind of calcium it is. Ideally, calcium citrate is the best for this type of crisis as it is absorbed faster and more completely than calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate. But in a crisis where you don't have the luxury of using the best product, use any thing over 500mg that you have on hand.Give the tablet this very second right into her mouth. She will have no problem swallowing it.
I gave the tums 50 minutes ago. Decided to not wait for an answer about the others. I have the correct calcium on my list for tomorrow morning. Like an idiot I gave my son that calcium, from the last time I had an egg bound hen, and never replaced it.

I can see she is becoming more tired, is this normal? Kinda like labor? Only, a human would have been in surgery by now. Lol

When will I know if it's an absolute emergency? We have the University here but would like to avoid the ER unless we are at that point. An appointment tomorrow is more reasonably priced.

Thank you!

I believe this can be handled "in-house". Yes, this is likely exhausting for her. Try to keep her as stress-free as possible. Give her a little warm sugar water to counter stress. It will raise her glucose so that her body will function efficiently.

If she hasn't expelled the obstruction by morning, give her a second Tums. The calcium has worked in every single case I've had, and I've had more than my share of egg binding. There is no reason it won't work in your hen's case, as well.

I like to place my patient in a roomy hospital crate on several thick towels to absorb fluids and also to be able to see easily what she expels. If egg fragments and broken yolk come out, she will also need an oral antibiotic to treat infection.

It may not be an egg that is causing obstruction. A small bit of tissue sloughed off the oviduct wall can also cause obstruction and it can be so insignificant, you may not see it in the poop that will likely also be expelled.

When your hen starts behaving like her normal self, you will know that the obstruction has cleared in spite of not seeing another egg.

I believe this can be handled "in-house". Yes, this is likely exhausting for her. Try to keep her as stress-free as possible. Give her a little warm sugar water to counter stress. It will raise her glucose so that her body will function efficiently.
Good to know.
She is in a covered crate in a mostly quiet room. She has enough fight to make syringe feeding water nearly impossible so I'm hoping this is a good sign. Her crop is continuing to feel better.
If she hasn't expelled the obstruction by morning, give her a second Tums. The calcium has worked in every single case I've had, and I've had more than my share of egg binding. There is no reason it won't work in your hen's case, as well.
I can pick up the proper calcium early if needed.
I like to place my patient in a roomy hospital crate on several thick towels to absorb fluids and also to be able to see easily what she expels. If egg fragments and broken yolk come out, she will also need an oral antibiotic to treat infection.
I'll change her bedding and watch closely. Would I need a vet visit for the antibiotics?
It may not be an egg that is causing obstruction. A small bit of tissue sloughed off the oviduct wall can also cause obstruction and it can be so insignificant, you may not see it in the poop that will likely also be expelled.
I'm so glad I took that video! Obstruction had left my mind she laid that egg.
When your hen starts behaving like her normal self, you will know that the obstruction has cleared in spite of not seeing another egg.
Also good to know, I was checking for another egg. Lol

Thanks again. This is the second time, in a week, I had an urgent situation that I was able to get help from the BYC community! My hens and I are very grateful!

You may be able to find amoxicillin at Tractor Supply. Call around tomorrow and have it lined up in case you need it. It may be 500mg capsules and the chicken dose is 250mg. per day. In that case, you will need to open the capsule and divide the powder into two doses. I use a tiny bite of bread dipped in olive oil and I sop up the powder with it. It's bitter so sprinkle a little sugar on it and she should snap it right up. This is 250mg per day for ten days.

Back
Top Bottom