hens not eating crushed oyster shells

oguzakyuz

Songster
6 Years
May 28, 2017
I have 5 hens that used to lay regularly but their production appears to have dropped recently (from 4-5 a day to 2-3 a day). I was expecting the opposite as the days get longer and the weather gets warmer. They are not old hens. I provide free choice oyster shells to them but they don't seem to touch it. Their egg shells do not appear thin so I am not sure if they are lacking calcium or this reduction is just a natural course.

Do you think hens will eat oyster shells if they are definitely lacking calcium? I also heard from a relative that spreading inactive limestone powder that you can get from the hardware store can help with the calcium, but I am not sure if this will cause any harm. What are your thoughts on this?

By the way I am feeding them with a whole grain diet with occasional kitchen scraps.

Oguz

It may be that they aren't laying enough (building enough egg shells) to need the extra calcium.
I wouldn't use the limestone powder. It is the large particle oyster shell that stays in the digestive tract longer that is its benefit.
Calcium doesn't stimulate egg laying. It simply replaces that calcium pulled out of the medullary bone when an egg shell is built.
Protein contributes to egg laying because an egg shell isn't necessary until ovulation takes place. Provided the rest of the diet is nutritionally balanced, sufficient protein can contribute to more frequent ovulation.
Are you saying that your chickens aren't getting chicken feed? Chickens are omnivores and need either animal protein or the balance of essential amino acids in chicken feed.
To lay well they need at least 16% crude protein. Most grains range from 7-12% protein and are low in certain essential amino acids.

I once met a neighbor at the feed store and he wanted to buy some of my chickens.
I asked why and he said his chickens were broken because they quit laying. It was this time of year. I asked what he fed them and he said, "corn". I said, "yeah but what else"? He said, "just corn." I said, "you're starving them. Get a complete chicken feed and they'll start laying again."

Last edited:
@ChickenCanoe, as usual, has provided a thorough response. I can only add support to it. Calcium needs are an individual issue and vary from layer to layer. Their bodies will prompt them to eat the ouster shell as they need it. If their shells are hard, they don't need it, so you may not see them eating it. Under no circumstances mix the oyster shell in their feed as that can force to much calcium into their systems risking damage to kidneys.

My first thought, too, was that with a whole grain diet, your chickens aren't getting all the nutrients they need to support egg laying. This is why it's seldom beneficial to try to feed a homemade recipe to layers to avoid commercial feeds which are balanced in all the nutrients layers need.

You may select either a layer feed or an all flock feed and supply oyster shell in addition. Either will provide the nourishment your hens need to bring their production back up.

x2! Are you feeding mixed grains, or a balanced chicken feed that's made up of whole grains? Even that diet will lead to problems, at least with some birds. They will choose to eat the yummy bits, and leave the rest, and if there's a vitamin-minerals mix in it, that will sink to the bottom and not be eaten.
Hens do best when fed a balanced crumble or pelleted diet, especially an all-flock diet, with the oyster shell on the side.
Mary

How often do you collect the eggs? Can the chickens get to them before you gather them? You may have an egg eater--they leave nothing behind. This would explain why their shells are still hard.

I live in Turkey. Unfortunately there are not as many feed options as in US. However, recently an organic egg seller from the farmer's market proposed to bring me organic feed. Probably it is best to try that. It is also getting more and more difficult and expensive trying to mix various sorts of whole grains in my attempt to produce a balanced feed. Hopefully I can get my hands on a good quality organic feed.

Oguz

Back
Top Bottom