how do you feed laying hens and pullets under 18 weeks in the same coop?

SophiaLinn

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Massachusetts
So we’re getting more chicks in march and i’ve been doing a lot of research about how to safely integrate new pullets into an existing flock. But one thing I can’t seem to find info on is how you feed the calcium layer feed to the hens and grower to the pullets when they’re in the same coop? We have 3 pvc pipes for their feed right now, we’ll probably add more as well.

So we’re getting more chicks in march and i’ve been doing a lot of research about how to safely integrate new pullets into an existing flock. But one thing I can’t seem to find info on is how you feed the calcium layer feed to the hens and grower to the pullets when they’re in the same coop? We have 3 pvc pipes for their feed right now, we’ll probably add more as well.
Just let the pullets have layer feed.

Feed them all flock raiser or all flock with oyster shell on the side. feeding the Pullets layer feed too early could hurt them, you can switch back to layer feed once they're all laying
I let my pullets have layer feed, and it didn't hurt them any.

I feed all my chickens older than 10 weeks a Non-medicated Starter Grower.
I offer a separate container of Oyster Shells for the Calcium needs of the hens and pullets in lay.
I also have Granite Grit available.
You could switch to Layers feed when Pullets are laying after 18 weeks.
Myself I haven't fed a Layers feed in more than 3 years. GC

i let my pullets as early as 16 weeks old eat layer feed

I let my pullets have layer feed, and it didn't hurt them any.
Affects are not always immediate. It can cause long term kidney damage, gout, cardio anomalies, tumors, and a plethora of other issues down the road. It doesn't always cause damage, but can. There have been several studies which have found measurable affects non-laying birds within just a few short weeks of ingesting too much calcium. Not a risk I am willing to take when the solution is so simple: feed your entire flock grower feed or all-flock feed with free-choice oyster shells and egg shells available in a separate dish.

Here is an excellent write-up featuring a few case studies on large flocks that have been fed too much calcium: https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...-underscore-value-of-networking-for-knowledge

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom