how do you keep your hens laying in the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by larlar23, Oct 23, 2008.

1. larlar23

larlar23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Magna Ut
    i ws woundering how to keep your hens laying in the winter? i need them to keep laying. with out riseing my pge bill. can any one help me?[​IMG]

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I heard putting lights in the coop at night to give them extra hours of LIGHT , since it gets dark earlier during the winter .

I also heard some DO stop laying while others will not . Depending on their ages and breeds .

How old are your hens and what breed ?

3. larlar23

Jun 23, 2008
    Magna Ut
    they are 7 months and i have all kinds RIRs, EE, BUff, PLYMITH rock, leg horns a total of 62
    58 hens 4 roos

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have a timer in my coop and run. The lights come on at 5 am and go off at 8 am. They roost at dusk with the natural light. I have 90% production.

Hope this helps.

5. larlar23

Jun 23, 2008
    Magna Ut
    i have lights that or on at night and most of the day. i am going to put them on a timer so that my pge bill does not go throw the roof. puting the light on in the morning does that work better then at night? i am down to less then 50% of my eggs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thanks Laurie

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, it's preferable to add light in the AM rather than the PM if you are going to add light.

7. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    If they are out at night with a light and it times out and goes off it will be hard for them to settle and roost for the night. They can't see then.

That's why I only light it up in the morning. I think it's important for them to be able to settle in for the night comfortably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by