how do you keep your hens laying in the winter?

larlar23

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 23, 2008
Magna Ut
i ws woundering how to keep your hens laying in the winter? i need them to keep laying. with out riseing my pge bill. can any one help me?
D.gif

I heard putting lights in the coop at night to give them extra hours of LIGHT , since it gets dark earlier during the winter .

I also heard some DO stop laying while others will not . Depending on their ages and breeds .

How old are your hens and what breed ?

they are 7 months and i have all kinds RIRs, EE, BUff, PLYMITH rock, leg horns a total of 62
58 hens 4 roos

i have lights that or on at night and most of the day. i am going to put them on a timer so that my pge bill does not go throw the roof. puting the light on in the morning does that work better then at night? i am down to less then 50% of my eggs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks Laurie

Quote:
Yes, it's preferable to add light in the AM rather than the PM if you are going to add light.

If they are out at night with a light and it times out and goes off it will be hard for them to settle and roost for the night. They can't see then.

That's why I only light it up in the morning. I think it's important for them to be able to settle in for the night comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom