How lucrative is it to raise chickens to sell?

I'm finding that it's expensive up front - building a new coop, procuring quality birds, feed, etc. But the layers pay for their feed in eggs - I get $3.50/dozen, undercutting the local store by only 25 cents. But I have weekly customers, and last months "egg money" more than paid for the food for the layers. I also sell the hatching eggs, and the gamebirds are very popular here. Turkeys and cornish are good too, and help with it all. I think that eventually we will break even, but I don't expect to quit my day job. :
tongue.png

The up front costs are the greatest for sure. I never expected to get upfront costs back :p

$4 a dozen. That's pretty nice! If you need more customers, there's a missing spot now for those on the UW campus. :p

Hehe, I'm really based in Everett and graduated in June but I can go ask them to see if they have found a new source yet! PM me your info and I can pass it along if you're interested.

It's so quiet outside... only 14 left.

But back to the OP, might as well get into the birds and see if you can't build up a good customer base. Started pullets are going for a pretty penny down town.

Back
Top Bottom