How much did you spend on your coop? **Update with pics on pg. 12**

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

I haven't added it all up cause I bought the supplies in increments, but probably $100-$150. The coop is 9x10 and the run is 20x10. You can see some pics on my BYC page, but I already had the roof and 2 walls since it was the back side of the carport that's attached to the shed.

I got the plywood as 2nds for about 1/2 what you pay in the hardware store. The 2x4s I used were mostly B grade boards. I used treated landscape timbers for the fence posts (much cheaper than using "fence posts"). My dad helped me with the whole thing and he had a lot of things like nails, hinges, locks, scrap wood, etc lying around, which we used. He also had some metal roofing, which we used to make a covered porch area for them outside the coop
smile.png
He did all the scary cutting also!

Really, the most expensive part was the chicken wire. If I'd have used hardware cloth, it would have probably cost at least another $50.

Last edited:
Right now I am building a 12X12 coop so far got the main frame up and I have spent $500.00 I figure to spend another $200 to $300 dollars.

I am at about 500.00 now on a 40x14 pen. got most of the stuff from Craigslist and on sale. Go to a national rent a fence company. The company that puts up the fence around construction areas. They sell the 10x10 panels cheap. They are used but they do no have to be perfect for a coop.

I'm building a second coop because I have too many chicks! I have spent way too much but I did luck out and found roof shingles the other day for $5.00 a bundle.
So the answer to your question is: that's what it costs for building material. Even when I did the first one most of the wood was given to me by a builder (left overs) and it still cost a good penny. Just look for deals.

DH says I spent our vacation money so guess what?
rant.gif
We aren't goin anywhere this year! I'm not too good about doing the recycled thing.

Back
Top Bottom