I Need Advice!

I've converted many an apartment patio to unconventional purposes!! If you are reasonably handy...

I'm assuming it's a standard size apt. patio, and you are willing to devote most of it to the hens?

It looks like you have already mounted some type of wood frame against the stucco wall you can use as a base. If not, I'd use some anchor bolts, and put up a couple of pieces of 2x4 against the stucco to make a framing. Put your little coop inside the frame. Cover the roof and one end (the end opposite from where your apartment door is), with hardware cloth. Those apartment living cats are stone-cold killers!! Build a simple little 4' frame door in the end closest to your door. If you are really building impaired, you might be able to make do with some odds and ends to put together a door - like a fireplace screen, or some large venting. 4' is plenty of room for you to get in to be with the hens, although taller is always better, it looks like you need to stay below a certain level.

Get a couple of bags of gravel for the flooring and plan on scooping. It will be much easier to deal with than shavings or straw in an apartment, and stays tidier when you (or the hens) are spilling their water!

I think the suggestion of framing and hardware cloth is a good idea. That will be good to keep out the cats as well. I usually don't worry about cats, but with little Seramas, that is a genuine concern.
And resurreccion858, sorry if the question about money crossed a line. Wasn't intended to be personal.

Imp- mea culpa

thanks for all the ideas guys this really helps alot. and this is the coop im working with
http://www.petco.com/product/112393/WARE-Chick-N-Hutch-Chicken-Coop.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Domestic%20Fowl_3-_-WARE%20Chick-N-Hutch%20Chicken%20Coop-112393
but
yeah i think im gonna stop by home depot and see what i can do. i really want this to work out
hmm.png

Quote:
yeah i think im gonna go wiht hardware cloth. and no that question didnt cross the line
lol.png
it was just a simple question asking basically how much money i had to work with no worries
big_smile.png

While you're out shopping, I'd pick up something to coat the exterior of that new coop with, too. Either paint or a sealer. It will last a lot longer that way, if it's exposed to rain. Many of the little prefab coops don't come with a good sealer and tend to not hold up as well, if you don't do a coat of something on them. If you end up putting it inside a run/pen with a solid roof, it won't be as much of a problem.

You could also put sand down in the run. It drains well, it's easy on their feet and chickens like it. After you get the run done, you could plant a garden flat of grass and put it in there for the chickens, too.

Your chickens are going to love this!

Those little coops and hutches are made with cedar. If you cover it with anything like a polyurethane it will flake off. Don't bother it will naturally fade like all cedar.
They are sturdy enough for chickens. And look where the OP is from, folks. Trust me, I lived in SD for a few years, she doesn't need shelter in winter as much as protection from sun in the other 11 months of the year
lol.png
Seriously, I would make it shady in there. Perhaps build a tray under half of the area and cover it and get some play sand in that tray to use as litter. It will be easier to clean than shavings and if it ever rains or you get water spilled, the sun will dry it out. You can scoop the poop with a litter scooper too. I would use a secure tarp as the shade and use the wire over the other half to keep out the critters with teeth. Can you paint the privacy fence on the inside? It will brighten up that area as well as the inside of the apartment near the door.
Good luck with your little feathered friends. Just don't roast them in the sun
wink.png

I lot of little prefab coops and hutches are stained to look like cedar, but they aren't made from cedar. That model's description says it's made from exterior grade plywood. I don't know about the other little wood parts. I would still seal or paint it, if it's not in a protected area. Some of the forum members have had little prefab coops that warped when exposed to rain. On models that don't use much for connecting hardware, things can start to come apart when they warp.

Back
Top Bottom