ideas for extra income no budget?**UPDATE PAGE 8!!!**

the4heathernsmom

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
east texas
I was just checking for ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions for extra income ideas? I sew not an expert though, I have tried to sell jellies and jams no luck there. Kids sell eggs the chickens are their money. Have five acres very wet did our first garden this year not much luck we did put up veggies but not near as much as last year. Got two feeder pigs for us to raise and save money with food both girls still little bitty fairly tame. Anybody ever raised litters to sell? How did that go? We have them on about 1/2 acre fenced with goat wire no probs yet. They root but haven't got under the fences may just be a matter of time. Hubby is a welder nothing out there right now for him.....not even fence work. Tried doing home health on the side but we are so rural and the pay so poor wasn't even worth the time. I am back in college full time now but kids are hating it begining to hate my decision to go back and it is soooo hard. HArd on hubby hard on me hard on 4 kids. I am hating life. I think I made the wrong decision to go to school has caused us nothing but heartache and strain on the family more than we already had. I would love nothing more than to make stuff or raise stuff or do anything to have a side income to help so things would not be so bad. Any suggestions? What is everyone else doing that is struggling like us?

Last edited:
I sure wish I had some suggestions for you but I'm in the same boat. As a teacher I do tutor on the side but right now people just don't have the money for that. Whatever you do stay in school because that will give you what you need to find a good job for an income. I know it's not instant money, which is what we all need right now, but it will help out in the long run. Have you thought about trying to get a daycare license? Or do you have a network of school moms you could babysit for?

I make and sell aprons and other handcraft. I also sell Tupperware.
I make some money doing both and I am free to do it around my own schedule.

I have tried the babysitting and it was utter chaos and after the fuss and written on walls and stopped up toilets hubby sd it was more damage than we could afford. I took in two that were kicked out of daycares that was a mistake. I worked as asst director of child care for four years and I would come home and not even want to be around my own kids it was awful. Occasional babysitting or on weekends is always welcome but most everyone doesn't have money to pay and they keep saying they will pay you and never do. I sew but cannto find anything people really need or can use other than my quilts and it takes so long to get one finished then all the costs involved I am just stumped.

Come on over to http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/ . Theres lots of ideas to help you save money, and you might find something that you might be able to do to generate extra income too.
smile.png

Dear 4heathernsmom,

Nine years ago, my husband didn't have any work either and I was homeschooling my two blessings. I had prayed about it for a few days and had decided to try opening a daycare in my home. I placed an ad in the newspaper. I set a price according to the daycares that I called. The first day the Lord had many call and over the next month we had eight toddlers sitting at a table that we had in the center of our dining room that we cleared out and made child friendly. Over the next four months, the Lord blessed us with 23 - yes! I said 23! My daughter that was thirteen at the time was doing her homeschooling in the afternoon and helping me with the children the rest of the day - 23 children at $60 a week nine years ago - we went from that to being licensed which took a little paperwork and $35. Then the Lord blessed and we built a room for them on the back of our home - 1000 square feet with its own kitchen and bath and playground. Now we care for 12 at $80 per week. (The rates may be much different where you're at) and with my husbands job (the Lord gave him a good job six months after we began caring for children) we are paying the bills! The Lord will always provide if you put Him first. We teach them Bible stories and Bible songs along with their preschool and crafts. Some of them go with us to Church on Wednesday evenings. Our Son is a missionary Baptist Preacher and we have a program for them at Church. It has indeed been my life's mission and such a blessing. Children are a gift from the Lord. It has taught my daughter so much too - she loves them as well, (she's 21 now and want's six of her own
smile.png
Pray and look to see what talents the Lord has given you and look for Him to open doors with those talents - that's what I did and He blessed it. Cristy

have you thought about driving a school bus?

I have driven bus for 15 years all my kids rode on my bus till they went to school

you dont make a ton of money but here in ontario they make about $400 every other week after taxes

here are the pros of driving bus:
1)you can take your kids with you... no daycare
2)you have the school holidays off with them... no daycare
3)you say you live rural.. most companies will allow you to bring the bus home to park... no commuting gas for you.. big +++
4)if you do park the bus at home you can stop at the store in the morning after your run and do groceries again big +++ cause no gas to go grocery shopping or anyother shopping as long as its on the way home from your last school they frown on "out of the way trips"
5)if your kids are sick at school you can get them at anytime no need to cover your shift at work
6)home during the day to do the mommy chores so the evenings and weekends are truly for family time
7) available during the day to volunteer at the church or school
8)most places will train you and upgrade your drivers licence with little to no cost to you, you may have to sign a contract though saying you will work for them for X amount of time to "work off" the cost of training you

here are the cons:
1)considering the amount of responsibility its low paying.
2)laid off during the summer unless you are lucky enough to get a camp run
3)other peoples children can be difficult and sometimes the parents are even worse.
4)it can be stressful, but it can also be very rewarding too

I am not trying to sugar coat it thats why i have given you a list of pros and cons as i think of more i will add it to the list but thats just off the top of my head

A few things that we do:
You can raise some chickens and incubate the eggs and sell the babies. Not a lot of money but since you're already set up for chickens there won't be any more outlay for start-up except for the incubator and you can do away with that of course if you get some good broodies.
Around here everybody seems to want turkey babies-it's a way to go.
If you have a green thumb you could try starting vegetable seeds indoors and selling the plants in the spring to gardeners who normally buy from Home Depot or whatever. Again, not a lot of money and the outlay for seeds and growing medium might be prohibitive. People are getting excited about heirloom veggies and organic growing practices.
Again, not a lot of money (LOL), but we were fostering infants for awhile. Gotta watch out because you'll end up like us and adopt a bunch of them but the babies don't talk back, they take naps and it's fun to watch them get well and start to act like normal babies.
Just some thoughts...

I do mystery shopping and product demonstrations to supplement my salary. I pick up an extra $400-$800 a month depending on how much I hustle.

Back
Top Bottom