In a word, how would you describe your garden as of today?

Pics
"Instructive"
I'm newish to gardening, and I set an intention this year to let my garden teach me patience. Boy is she teaching! Things that thrived year one are limping along. Things that failed last year are thriving. I have a mountain of Green Zebra heirloom tomatoes that seem to have been "almost" ripe since before the red ones came and are still not quite ready as the red ones hit storage. Everything took longer than I thought it would, and I definitely need to do more amending and prepping... not be in such a rush to get things in the ground next year. What an education!

"Instructive"
I'm newish to gardening, and I set an intention this year to let my garden teach me patience. Boy is she teaching! Things that thrived year one are limping along. Things that failed last year are thriving. I have a mountain of Green Zebra heirloom tomatoes that seem to have been "almost" ripe since before the red ones came and are still not quite ready as the red ones hit storage. Everything took longer than I thought it would, and I definitely need to do more amending and prepping... not be in such a rush to get things in the ground next year. What an education!
I have a poor memory and am a nerd for statistics. According to my wife I am "ridiculous," but I record all my plantings (which cultivars, amount), germination dates, harvests, expenses and savings (supermarket value
) on an excel spreadsheet each season. I also keep notes on the general weather of each month.
I do all of this so that I know which plants do well or dont in our environment. Planting dates recommended are based upon general climatic conditions and do not reflect soil, light, and moisture conditions. Talk about an educational experience!

A garden can be very educational, cathartic, ego boosting and humbling all in one season! Glad to see you're giving it a try!

I have a poor memory and am a nerd for statistics. According to my wife I am "ridiculous," but I record all my plantings (which cultivars, amount), germination dates, harvests, expenses and savings (supermarket value
) on an excel spreadsheet each season.
I'm not as hardcore about it but I also use an excel spreadsheet to plan out my vegetable beds, as well as note seeding dates, planting density, new plants to try/plants to remove, etc.

Battlefield.

I have lots of vines and other invasives that I am steadily tackling with losses along the way. I have new plants I am planting to add ground cover and take on weeds. My fruit trees and vines are gaining ground this year and managed the pests better this year. So definitely a battlefield. Some wins and some losses.

Jungle
I planted everything as directed on the back of the seed packets, meaning properly spaced apart. The butternut squash is still trying to kill all the cabbages, the cabbages are encroaching into the beans, the beans are flopping over and squishing each other as well as shading the peppers. The tomatoes are leading the revolt.

Jungle
I planted everything as directed on the back of the seed packets, meaning properly spaced apart. The butternut squash is still trying to kill all the cabbages, the cabbages are encroaching into the beans, the beans are flopping over and squishing each other as well as shading the peppers. The tomatoes are leading the revolt.
I followed directions but results were definitely variable. My butternut squash quickly burned up during a few hot days when we couldn't get out there.... everything managed fine between waterings. Our cabbage was good (made great kraut!). I just came in from checking on cantaloupe- WOW! Nine softball size and a ton of additional blooms! Too bad I don't know more people who like cantaloupe.

I followed directions but results were definitely variable. My butternut squash quickly burned up during a few hot days when we couldn't get out there.... everything managed fine between waterings. Our cabbage was good (made great kraut!). I just came in from checking on cantaloupe- WOW! Nine softball size and a ton of additional blooms! Too bad I don't know more people who like cantaloupe.
Man, I love cantaloupe. ❤️
Well we have had a lot of hot days, we have also had an inordinate amount of rain. I think I have watered the garden less than 10 times so far this year.

Back
Top Bottom