Steve the Shoe

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2018
What Do you THINK?
Please HELP Lil frustrated.. trying to hatch chickens only 1 in first 0 in last 2 batches
Should I disinfect eggs my 2nd. Batch had C poop on some eggs that I scraped off
Here's a pic of my incubator, I really think I've got temp a humidity right

I haven't candled or let set after shipping
Need to learn how to candle. And learn to let's eggs set up right to let air settle back in place after shipping. Not giving up got more cheap eggs coming in mail
Your thoughts be appreciated.
20180716_203649.jpg

How do you know that your temp and humidity are right? Have you personally calibrated any of those thermometers or your hygrometer? If not, that is where you should start. Do the salt test on your hygrometer. And test a submersible thermometer against a known to be accurate medical grade thermometer (Either digital or mercury bulb type. Medical quality thermometers are usually guaranteed to be +/- .2*F accurate. Look for that guarantee with the instrument you choose as your standard) in a cup or bowl of water at approximately 100*. You will then know how far off your thermometer is.

After you know how far off your thermometer is, you can then test your incubator. Put some water bottles in it to approximate the volume of eggs you plan to set, and run the bator for 3 - 4 days. Test all areas of the bator to see if there are any warm/cool spots. And see how much the temp fluctuates.

After all of this, go to the learning center and read ALL of "hatching eggs 101". It is a compilation of articles and topics that pertain to incubation, embryonic development, and incubator management. Don't set an other egg in that bator until you have gone through all of these important steps. Incubation is part art and part science. You must understand the science before you can fine tune the art to get a good hatch.

How do you know that your temp and humidity are right? Have you personally calibrated any of those thermometers or your hygrometer? If not, that is where you should start. Do the salt test on your hygrometer. And test a submersible thermometer against a known to be accurate medical grade thermometer (Either digital or mercury bulb type. Medical quality thermometers are usually guaranteed to be +/- .2*F accurate. Look for that guarantee with the instrument you choose as your standard) in a cup or bowl of water at approximately 100*. You will then know how far off your thermometer is.

After you know how far off your thermometer is, you can then test your incubator. Put some water bottles in it to approximate the volume of eggs you plan to set, and run the bator for 3 - 4 days. Test all areas of the bator to see if there are any warm/cool spots. And see how much the temp fluctuates.

After all of this, go to the learning center and read ALL of "hatching eggs 101". It is a compilation of articles and topics that pertain to incubation, embryonic development, and incubator management. Don't set an other egg in that bator until you have gone through all of these important steps. Incubation is part art and part science. You must understand the science before you can fine tune the art to get a good hatch.

00833724-e257-46fc-89d1-bfd1aa59504d_1_91942401614734ccb6a4e65e637c6904.jpg
Go to walmart get one of these put it on top of your eggs rest your eggs fat end up 24 hours before setting them . I do like your what happens happens approach:lau. your frustration could be the shipped eggs .USPS has caused more than a few very bad hatches . I would find some local eggs , master those before I shipped . There are so many of us that just won't fool with shipped eggs because USPS ruins them . Hatching eggs isn't rocket science. Get your temperature at egg top right , and if the shipped eggs aren't scrambled you should hatch a few . Temperature first humidity second . Relative humidity affects incubator humidity. Know what it is ,take that into account when setting incubator humidity . I run dry hatches I never put water in my incubators . The humidity here today was 84% that makes it about 35% in my incubators . Raise humidity when you see the first pip to about 65% or higher . Never give up never surrender:lau Crash course over there won't be any test , you have to self test . :fl:fl

I had 100% hatch from Meyer Hatchery, and I live over 1,200 miles from them. My first hatch 11/15 hatched. They use the foam with the holes cut out, so maybe that helps. Letting them rest helps too.

Back
Top Bottom