Infected preen gland?

Celeste Cannon

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles, California
I gave my quail hen an epsom bath because I thought she had a problem with her vent, but I realized its the preen gland thats the issue. You can't tell in the photo but a bit of her preen gland is visible at the base, why do you think this buildup/infection happened? none of my other birds have it.
Are epsom baths the best treatment for this? Should I try to lightly scrub it off or let it fall off on its own? Should I use some sort of anti-bacteria/wound spray?

I posted this earlier for some more background info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-quail-hen-crusty-vent-lost-weight-weak.1591770/

Attachments

• IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 30
I would give that a saline rinse to make sure it's clean to start with. Once it's clean, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.

Do you have pictures of your setup? How many birds do you have in how much space? How often are they cleaned?

I would give that a saline rinse to make sure it's clean to start with. Once it's clean, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.

Do you have pictures of your setup? How many birds do you have in how much space? How often are they cleaned?
I don't clean the birds myself (like a bath), but i leave a dust bath in there for them which they looove. i clean the big coop whenever it looks or smells dirty, so around once a month since it's pretty big. I separated the top and bottom floors because one was injured for a while so she needed her own space. I have an extra small coop i just put jeff in so its easier to keep clean and keep the other birds are safe.

Attachments

• IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    911.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    638.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    647.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2643.JPG
    IMG_2643.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2644.JPG
    IMG_2644.JPG
    803 KB · Views: 8
Their space looks fine. I have that same owl statue to scare off hawks.

A dirt bath should be fine for them. When you say dust bath, what are you putting in it? Plain dirt or construction sand work well.

Back
Top Bottom