Is a Brahma rooster okay to put with a mixed flock?

Whitewolf9

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2022
I have two dark brahma hens, one light brahma hen, and a light brahma rooster, all about a year old. I bought them all together a couple weeks ago, but the rooster needs more hens, which now I cannot find any more brahma hens around me. He is making the hens back raw, even with the saddle on one, he's tearing the feathers off her wing. He needs more hens, I know. If it's safe too, considering his size, what other breeds of chickens would be okay, if any, in the run and coop with them. I want to make sure it's safe regarding his size with a mixed flock of chickens!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_071950.jpg
    IMG_20220726_071950.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 125
My brahma roo was the only brahma I had, it's pretty better for him (and the lafies) to have ladies more his size but they'll be fine. Brahma ladies aren't too much bigger than other hens.View attachment 3207667
He's beautiful! There are some 16 week old silver lace wyandotts and some lavender Orphington that hatched on 5/29/22. About two hours away from me, would they be a safe sized breed? And how would I introduce pullets to the flock after quarantine? Any tips? Only my second flock of chickens, first time with a rooster. I appreciate it

He's beautiful! There are some 16 week old silver lace wyandotts and some lavender Orphington that hatched on 5/29/22. About two hours away from me, would they be a safe sized breed? And how would I introduce pullets to the flock after quarantine? Any tips? Only my second flock of chickens, first time with a rooster. I appreciate it
I has wyandottes black Australorp, and Plymouth Rock hens, they should be a fine size. After about 3-4 weeks quarantine, you can put them in either side of a fence so they can see each other but not get to each other for about 2 weeks. They'll still have a tiff over pecking order but they'll get over it.

I has wyandottes black Australorp, and Plymouth Rock hens, they should be a fine size. After about 3-4 weeks quarantine, you can put them in either side of a fence so they can see each other but not get to each other for about 2 weeks. They'll still have a tiff over pecking order but they'll get over it.
Thank you so much, I've been worried sick from not finding any Brahma hens for him and was scared he'd accidentally kill a hen from another breed from his size. I appreciate it so much.

Thank you so much, I've been worried sick from not finding any Brahma hens for him and was scared he'd accidentally kill a hen from another breed from his size. I appreciate it so much.
This is exactly my dilemma right now. We had a surprise Brahma rooster from our 6 chicks, and 3 of the others were Australorps, so they're much smaller than he is. He'll still go after them, but he usually won't catch them. I've seen him mount them a time or two, but I think he gave up (too hard to stabilize on the smaller backs). Were you successful in getting some more hens for him? I have a choice between Wyandotts and Barred Rocks this spring, and I'm trying to decide which would be a better fit for my rooster.

This is exactly my dilemma right now. We had a surprise Brahma rooster from our 6 chicks, and 3 of the others were Australorps, so they're much smaller than he is. He'll still go after them, but he usually won't catch them. I've seen him mount them a time or two, but I think he gave up (too hard to stabilize on the smaller backs). Were you successful in getting some more hens for him? I have a choice between Wyandotts and Barred Rocks this spring, and I'm trying to decide which would be a better fit for my rooster.
Hi sorry for the late reply I just seen this, I found some buff and lavender orphington crosses, I haven't put them in there yet, they're in a separate run right beside them,
I have a small field fence rolled out for them to free range ( about like a dog play pen ) because I can't fully let them out because of all the stray animals, and they'll kind of peck each other through that and the brahmas roo will walk in between them, because they were only 4-6 months when I bought them so I was trying to wait it out to see how big they'd get , one of them stayed kind of smallish, but the other three are just a bit smaller than the brahmas, so as soon as I get a bigger pallet walk in coops built , within the next two months, I'm going to attempt to merge them all together and pray everything goes well lol!

Back
Top Bottom