Is it Coccidiosis?

EvansMeXo

Songster
May 20, 2017
Nova Scotia
Okay so my chickens range from 2-10weeks, Monday they were moved to their coop they've been locked in there ever since (doing the 2 weeks in before free ranging) anyways I just went out to freshen their water and I noticed a big black poop! The whole thing was black, I poked it with a stick and it moved and the shavings it was touching were bloody so I'm thinking Coccidiosis? But is there anything else it could be?? What's the treatment? How quickly do I have to get it to them?? Of course this happens when my hubby takes the truck for the weekend to go on a finishing trip, I'm trying to find someone who can take me to the feed store for whatever I need for them but I'm worried I won't get there intime! If the whole poop is black/bloody she must have had it for a while right? And I'm just noticing?? In the brooder I'm pretty sure there was no bloody poop I always had my eye out for it but i must have missed it.. their all eating/drinking/ acting happy

Hello, if the whole poop is black that doesn't matter, it is completely normal. But usually the chicken has Cocci if the whole thing is red. Can you post a picture for me?

OUt of the whole coop (10 chickens) I could find 3 black/bloody poops the first is the one I was poking with a stick so it's messy looking
IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3266.JPG
IMG_3267.JPG

It is hard to tell exactly but I think it might be Cocci. Sometimes the chicken can also have worms, or another kind of parasitic disease. But in other cases it can just leave, I had a chicken with red watery poop a week later it left. But did you just move the chicken? Or added a new friend? Because you chicken can also be nervous or stressed, causing the red poop. I know this is complecated and scary, but the best thing you can do is watch, separate the ?3? hens from the others because if it is Cocci it can spread really fast around your coop. You can always dilute apple cider vinegar in their water (1 tbs for 2 gallons, doesn't need to be exact, it can be more). And/or you can take 1 hot pepper squish it, and take 2 cloves of garlic squish them. And you can put that in 1 gallon of water (that's what I did for one and it left I'm not sure if it was cocci or not though).
Good luck I hope this helped.
I have 2 sites that can help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.64386/

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

It is hard to tell exactly but I think it might be Cocci. Sometimes the chicken can also have worms, or another kind of parasitic disease. But in other cases it can just leave, I had a chicken with red watery poop a week later it left. But did you just move the chicken? Or added a new friend? Because you chicken can also be nervous or stressed, causing the red poop. I know this is complecated and scary, but the best thing you can do is watch, separate the ?3? hens from the others because if it is Cocci it can spread really fast around your coop. You can always dilute apple cider vinegar in their water (1 tbs for 2 gallons, doesn't need to be exact, it can be more). And/or you can take 1 hot pepper squish it, and take 2 cloves of garlic squish them. And you can put that in 1 gallon of water (that's what I did for one and it left I'm not sure if it was cocci or not though).
Good luck I hope this helped.
I have 2 sites that can help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.64386/

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Great I'll try the apple cider Im pretty sure I have some.. should I put the suspected ones back into the brooder?? I only have the one coop. They were just moved out here Monday after noon so maybe the stress of the move? I hope their okay I'm now terrified to go out to the coop and find dead chickens! From what I was reading about Coccidiosis it says they start acting sick before the bloody poop shows? Which is why I'm wondering if it might Be something else all of them are playing andntaking dust baths and eating and drinking

Great I'll try the apple cider Im pretty sure I have some.. should I put the suspected ones back into the brooder?? I only have the one coop. They were just moved out here Monday after noon so maybe the stress of the move? I hope their okay I'm now terrified to go out to the coop and find dead chickens! From what I was reading about Coccidiosis it says they start acting sick before the bloody poop shows? Which is why I'm wondering if it might Be something else all of them are playing andntaking dust baths and eating and drinking
Maybe it is the move, I know it happens. It happened to my 6 week old chicks but left after 5 days. You should move them until you know what it is. You should clean out all the bloody stools. You can also give them yogurt.
How old are they?

I'm thinking it's my oldest (10 week EE) and maybe one or two of the 8 week olds there was only 3 bloody poops (I just finished cleaning the coop) so maybe I think was all my oldest? I'm just guessing based on the size of the poop, I haven't actually caught any of them pooping it or acting weird

Im not sure if you can actually tell who is pooping it by the size of the poop. But Cocci usually comes in growing chickens (whilst they grow they develop an immunity system for it). You should try and catch them pooping so you know who it is exactly. If you look at their behinds you might be able to see some red stuck on their feathers, you can try that.

I'm thinking it's my oldest (10 week EE) and maybe one or two of the 8 week olds there was only 3 bloody poops (I just finished cleaning the coop) so maybe I think was all my oldest? I'm just guessing based on the size of the poop, I haven't actually caught any of them pooping it or acting weird
I think you need to get some Amprol, AmproMed, or Corid, ASAP. Call a vet and ask about the bst way to get some.

Back
Top Bottom