Is my chicken hen sick?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi, this morning I noticed 1 of my chicken’s wasn’t acting right. She was sitting a lot and not moving very much, she’s not really drinking anything and her crop is full. I isolated her this afternoon with water and no food for a few hours and her crop was still full. Is she sick? What’s wrong with her? Thank you
650B9ECC-C232-4A9D-8DCB-2399978026AF.jpeg
64FB7AFD-D9E8-4D75-BEB2-8CEA7C96A6D6.jpeg

Hi, this morning I noticed 1 of my chicken’s wasn’t acting right. She was sitting a lot and not moving very much, she’s not really drinking anything and her crop is full. I isolated her this afternoon with water and no food for a few hours and her crop was still full. Is she sick? What’s wrong with her? Thank you

her breath does smell a little sour.

It sounds a little more like impacted crop but she is not drinking any water and she will still eat if I give it to her which I’m not right now. Her crop is also firm
An impacted or doughy crop will turn sour.
If you are already detecting a sour smell, then I'd start her on Miconazole or Clotrimazole along with some coconut oil twice a day.
Do provide water during waking hours. I usually do not withhold food during waking hours when treating a crop, but everyone does things a bit differently.

Read this article, it will walk you through treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

When was her last egg?

Photos of her poop would be good too.

Does her crop feel hard or soft and squishy? It does sound like she has an impacted and/or sour crop. Here is a good article on treatment that should be able to help you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
If her breath smells sour, then she may have sour crop.

Can you give her breath a smell, & let us know if it's sour smelling?
Yeah, her breath does smell a little sour.

Friday was the last time she laid in egg. That is unusual for snuggles, She normally lays an egg almost every day.

I can try to get photos but she’s not really going to the bathroom at all, that I saw she may be when two or three times all day yesterday

She is unsteady on her feet and is very sleepy.
I would get some Calcium into her asap to see if she needs to pass an egg. You can give Tums or if you have Calcium Citrate that would be better.

Work on keeping her hydrated.

Sour crop sounds like the problem. Hopefully it's been caught early.
It sounds a little more like impacted crop but she is not drinking any water and she will still eat if I give it to her which I’m not right now. Her crop is also firm

Can you massage her crop to see if you can break up any clumps and get things moving? You may need to syringe some water or oil into her to help loosen things up. If you have apple cider vinegar you can add a splash to some water and see if that entices her to drink.

Back
Top Bottom