Is there anything I can do about the swelling? *pics*

InsaneBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Kurtistown, Hawaii
This rooster got into a fight, and he had some small cuts on his face which I believe have become infected. I have started him on penicillin, but is there anything else I can do for him? Could I drain any of the swelling? Are the yellow parts filled with pus or something? He is still moderately active, preens himself, drinks, etc. but he won't eat normal feed (probably because he can't see it). When he breathes it makes a hissing sound and I'm not sure whether he's trying to breathe through his nose or not. Could this be something other than just an infection? Sorry for the blurry pictures.

48890_dscn17501.jpg

48890_dscn17521.jpg

Wow! He looks impressively bad. I have never seen anything quite like that before. Keep up with the penicillin are my only words of advice. I hope he recovers.

Good luck.

Doesnt look like an infection to me. Fowl pox maybe? I wouldnt keep using antibiotics unless you know it's a bacterial infection. If there is one it would be secondary to something else going on. Just my guess.

Quote:
I highly doubt it's fowlpox, considering that I vaccinated him against it when he was a chick since there was fowlpox in my older flock at that time. Also, the fowlpox I have experienced has never been this bad or come on this quickly. Other than his face, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him, except I noticed he had mites and dusted him. I did use neosporin on his injuries after his fight, but it was the kind with painkiller, and I have stopped giving it to him, but I don't know if the painkiller did something.

No. That small amount of pain killer would not have done that. Have you looked at the different pictures of all the different things chickens can get? I forget where it is on here but I'm sure someone else can lead you the right way. I also use Google images myself.

He isn't bleeding, and the stuff on his face is mostly scabs, and I don't want to rub it off, but I was wondering if I could possible drain the yellow parts of the swelling. I did look up some pictures of severe fowlpox, and I found this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:217&biw=1259&bih=615

Does that look like what it might be? It wouldn't make sense, considering that he is vaccinated.

I had a turkey that had fowl pox REALLY bad and it looked like that. I didn't think it was fowl pox either because all the others had looked different but it was. Have you looked in his mouth to see if they are in there too?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom