Is this normal?

Christina Skye

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2017
Hatching a few Muscovy ducklings. This one has a ‘sack’ attached to it. Hatched a few hours ago.
Is this normal?
Attached pic

Attachments

• 1D16C7CD-57C8-4FC3-8B13-140F8BF3D852.jpeg
    1D16C7CD-57C8-4FC3-8B13-140F8BF3D852.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 12
When they first hatch they do usually have a sack attached to them but it usually sticks to the egg and falls off as they pop out or falls off a little while after they get out. It should have fallen off by now, are you sure it has been hatched for a few hours? It looks like it just came out a few minutes ago. He looks very wet, if he was out for a few hours he should be at least be somewhat, if not completely, dry and fuzzy.

It had probably been just over an hour when I posted. This little guy had a tough go in the beginning. It was so wrapped up with its head between its legs and even a wing over its head. We had to help quite a bit for it to get free. The sack has been attached, and since posting the baby has dried a lot more. Hoping for the best, and was most worried about that nasty looking sack attached to it.
Thank you for your insight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 6
Its normal and should fall off naturally, if you really wanted to you could try to cut it? I'm not sure if it has any blood vessels or such in it, be careful. It should just fall off when he's a few hours old, good luck!

Thank you for your help. Hoping the little guy makes it. It’s sibling has imprinted on my daughter already, and I know without another this could become a problem down the road... during mating season

Back
Top Bottom