Is this wry neck or injured chiken vidoe included

watch

If it is wry neck then I would do this:

They suggest to keep them separated to keep the stress level down. You will want to get vitamin E capsules and selenium tablets and what I do is mix 1/4 of selenium with the vitamin E without the selenium absorbtion of the E is difficult. and I put it into a syringe and try to feed it to
her. Then I take a Bayer chewable baby aspirin and
mix it in water and give her that in a syringe. Then I
take poly visol children's liquid vitamin and feed her
that. They're is one more thing you can do and its not for everyone but I'm going to try it. Its a steroid called predinsolone. I've read people have had great success with the predinsone. So I'm going to give that a try also.

But I would try to take a second opinion first.

Last edited:
Is the back of her neck puffy as if it is full of air? To me it looks as if it could be a leaking air sac from an injury to her neck. That is called windpuff or subcutaneous emphysema. If it gets very large and is causing problems such as respiratory difficulty, or it's spreading, then you can take a hypodermic needle (18 gauge works better on adult birds, but I have use 22 gauge on chicks,) and just puncture the skin carefully, and push the air out as well as possible. A large syringe can be connected to the needle or not (may be easier without.) Then I would hold pressure on the puncture site for as long as I could hold her still in my lap. The air may re-fill, so you may need to repeat it daily until it stops re-filling. Occasionally this can happen due to an infection, but most times it's due to an injury.
If it does not feel like a balloon underneath the skin, then I would suspect wry neck or something else being wrong. Here are a few links to help you, and see post #9 of the first link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

http://ijasvm.com/ijasvmadmin/upload/IJASVM_5113cbc51d31b.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=qq...&q=subcutaneous emphysema in chickens&f=false

Last edited:
I don't believe her syptoms are from a leaking air sac. When she tried to hold her head up her neck shakes/trimbles

I'm found this here and will start treatment as soon as I get it all.
I wanted to revive this thread and report a positive result! The silkie pullet has completely recovered from the wry neck and is now enjoying being back out with her buddies.

This was the regimen we use:

Vit. E (400mg) snip the tip off a capsule and squeeze into mouth twice a day for 10 days, then every other day for another 5 days
Selenium (25mcg) dissolve one 250mcg tablet in 2 ml water and give 0.2cc once a day for 10 days, then every other day for another 5 days
Prednisone 1mg. dissolve one 10 mg tablet in 2 ml water and give 0.2cc twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 5 days, then every other day for 5 days
B-Complex purchased in liquid form from Walgreens; 0.5 cc twice a day for 5 days, then once a day for 5 days, then every other day for 5 days

Back
Top Bottom