Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

I don't want to get political but this guy is my hero!
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F51eedbaa-6c52-4a0d-a0f3-721d79ed0300_1098x1114.jpeg

I don't want to get political but this guy is my hero!
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F51eedbaa-6c52-4a0d-a0f3-721d79ed0300_1098x1114.jpeg
Y'all better get chatting or I'm going to have to tell a story me dad told me that involves West Africa, giant crocodiles, a UN delegation, broken swimming pools....
(I know y'all think I make this stuff up!)

Last edited:
Y'all better get chatting or I'm going to have to tell a story my dad told me that involves West Africa, giant crocodiles, a UN delegation, broken swimming pools....
(I know y'all think I make this stuff up!)
Okay. Back in '62 work was slow so my Dad signed on with some friends to work overseas building iron ore docks outside of Monrovia, Liberia. They were electricians and half- swampers from South Louisiana so they found a skiff, some 'bull eyes' and a M-1 carbine, and started doing what they did best, shining crocodiles at night.
Enough background. Because they were Americans in Liberia, they also rubbed elbows with the powers that be back then. They were at a fancy reception for a UN delegation and offering to take them crock hunting one night while they were in town. The local officials had other plans as they steered them away from those 'coon a$$'. Besides it was a MYTH that there were crocodiles in Liberia.
Well that was the wrong thing to say in front of my Daddy and his friends.
They pulled out the boat and headed up the River. They found HUGE crock, wrestled him into a large wicker basket and went back to the hotel where the reception was being held. My Dad said when they walked in with that basket EVERYONE knew what was in it. They dumped the contents onto the dance floor and the reptile did his part by swishing across the floor clearing the room.
The staff eventually ushered the new guest into an old broken swimming pool that still had about a foot of water in it. They heard later that one of the guest made the usual drunken brag to his date that he was going to wrestle the crock. They visited him in the local infirmary later and he was wrapped in bandages from head to toe and swollen up like a giant sausage.
So if I sound a little coocoo some times, I came by it honestly. I come from a long line of alligator poachers. This photo is obviously not the suspect in question but it IS my dad with a different crock on that trip.
20230205_153233.jpg

Okay. Back in '62 work was slow so my Dad signed on with some friends to work overseas building iron ore docks outside of Monrovia, Liberia. They were electricians and half- swampers from South Louisiana so they found a skiff, some 'bull eyes' and a M-1 carbine, and started doing what they did best, shining crocodiles at night.
Enough background. Because they were Americans in Liberia, they also rubbed elbows with the powers that be back then. They were at a fancy reception for a UN delegation and offering to take them crock hunting one night while they were in town. The local officials had other plans as they steered them away from those 'coon a$$'. Besides it was a MYTH that there were crocodiles in Liberia.
They pulled out the boat and headed up the River. They found HUGE crock, wrestled him into a large wicker basket and went back to the hotel where the reception was being held. My Dad said when they walked in with that basket EVERYONE knew what was in it. They dumped the contents onto the dance floor and the reptile did his part by swishing across the floor clearing the room.
The staff eventually ushered the new guest into an old broken swimming pool that still had about a foot of water in it. They heard later that one of the guest made the usual drunken brag to his date that he was going to wrestle the crock. They visited him in the local infirmary later and he was wrapped in bandages from head to toe and swollen up like a giant sausage.
So if I sound a little coocoo some times, I came by it honestly. I come from a long line of alligator poachers. This photo is obviously not the suspect in question but it IS my dad with a different crock on that trip.View attachment 3396778
That's an amazing story, Hayden! :clap

So if I sound a little coocoo some times, I came by it honestly. I come from a long line of alligator poachers. This photo is obviously not the suspect in question but it IS my dad with a different crock on that trip.View attachment 3396778
Your dad = bad a**

Back
Top Bottom