Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

My menu changes several times a day. In the morning, I will be willing to make a feast, but by noon, I am thinking about how good a noodle bake sounds. When I start to cook, I am thinking that I could change it to meat and potatoes. šŸ˜‚
That's where the self-discipline comes in. I plan 2 weeks worth of meals and we grocery shop every other weekend. Now, often the meals will slide around in that 2 weeks depending on how the day went and who has time to make it, but we still cook those meals. We do get some snacks and things the kids can nuke, but I try really hard to have a homemade hot meal every night. And Sat/Sun we try to eat at the table as a family. It's a challenge with 14/15/21 year olds, but as much as they whine, they also mention it every time we don't do a weekend table meal, so I know they appreciate it.

The grocery store is about 45 minutes away so I only go about once every two weeks. And it's a whole family affair since we typically go after church on a Sunday.
Usually Diego is the one to get away from the list and start buying random stuff, but it doesn't happen often.
The grocery store closest to us is a mile and a half away. The next closest three and a half miles.

That's where the self-discipline comes in. I plan 2 weeks worth of meals and we grocery shop every other weekend. Now, often the meals will slide around in that 2 weeks depending on how the day went and who has time to make it, but we still cook those meals. We do get some snacks and things the kids can nuke, but I try really hard to have a homemade hot meal every night. And Sat/Sun we try to eat at the table as a family. It's a challenge with 14/15/21 year olds, but as much as they whine, they also mention it every time we don't do a weekend table meal, so I know they appreciate it.
I cannot plan that way. I am envious of those of you that can. I just go in and buy what I know people will eat at some point. It probably does not help that I do not often get to go food shopping. It is extremely rare to get that privilege. So when I do go, I create a stock pile of goods that would have me praised at a Prepper meeting. šŸ˜‚

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc06b66f8-7c99-483b-9504-ef89f3ad2867_774x938.jpeg

Growing up, we always ate meals as a family at the table. We even had assigned seats at the table! Even when the oldest of us grew up and moved out, the rest of us tried. It did get hard when we got jobs and didn't get home until after 10:00 or later. But my mom would always have the meal on a plate for us, waiting in the fridge for when we got home. Now, hubby, son, and I eat at the table every night unless we are eating out. I can't remember the last time we ate in front of the tv, it's been years. And the rule is: no electronics at the table, it's family time

I live a half mile from work and even closer to the grocery store but still really out in the country. There is a big cow pasture that borders work on one side and a goat pasture on another side. Small rural town.

Anyway, because of this I go by the grocery store sometimes everyday to just get for whatever meal Iā€™m going to prepare that evening. A couple dollar stores about the same distance if I need something there. Walmart on the other hand is 40 miles to the North East or 35 to the southwest. But, I go both ways a few times a week for something to do with work. Still it is rare to go to Walmart, anyway.

I never get a buggy in the grocery store, but a basket. But, now days it is not hard to walk out with as much as $75 in your hands if I decide to get a couple three days of meals, or just low on few essentials.

Back
Top Bottom