MarissaMolina96

Hatching
Jan 25, 2019
Hi everyone. So i am dealing with a bit of an issue with one of my pekins.

She had bumblefoot back in 2017, it got petty bad, I won't lie but i took her to the vet and got antibiotics for her, wrapped her feet and it went away, she just had some excess skin on the bottom of her feet from the swelling.

Here is where it gets tricky.

My dad watched her for about a week maybe while she was healing and my mom thinks he might have hurt her leg, possibly fractured it, while he was doing the wraps.

The reason she thinks this is because she became more gimpy when she walked but I thought it might have been a side affect from the bumblefoot because I know it can affect joints if untreated properly.

She was able to walk just fine, swam, ate and all that fun stuff ducks do, I just thought she was gonna have a gimpy leg as a result from the illness. But, as of recently, I would say within the past couple months maybe, she has become increasingly lame and only walks when she really has to and/or wants to.

Her hock joint on the right leg is swollen on the inside, it's like a ball the size of a smaller ping pong ball and it goes in and her leg goes out a little bit.

To make it worse, her foot feels hard where the old bumblefoot use to be but there is no scab or anything.

I read that arthritis can cause bumblefoot and vice versa so I'm just very worried and scared. Could this be arthritis? The article said it's more in older ducks and she's going to be 5 and is obviously domesticated.

i don't want my baby in pain and if i have to take her to the vet, I will but the doctor that was there last time honestly new as much as I did and prescribed her antibiotics. I think it was his first time treating waterfowl because the front desk lady said they had never had a duck in the clinic before.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’d recommended another vet visit because you can get her meds for pain and inflammation but the vet has to prescribe it. Maybe check around and see if you have an avian vet or a farm vet who has see waterfowl or poultry. If infection has gone into the joint or bone then that is serious and needs looked at ASAP.

I forgot to ask, can you post some pictures of it and tell us if the swelling is hard or soft. Also let us know what you feed because there are some vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can cause something called perosis, though I am not sure how common that is in mature ducks.

Back
Top Bottom