July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!! There are a few of us with Mon as a hatch day!!!
I should have quail hatching Monday too

Oh great breeds!!!!! I am a big fan of cochins. Lol
I love our cochins & light Brahma I think our blue Cochin is our prettiest chicken & she’s still in the teen phase 😂 she was an Easter hatch

Over 50% sounds pretty good to me! I just ordered the hatchery choice and was really pleased with what I got; Lavender/Black split Orpington, Light Brahma, Blue Andalusian, Patridge Cochin, Easter Egger and a White Cochin.

Wow you got some great breeds! I wish I had ordered the lavender split and a Cochin…my new light Brahma chick (I ordered pullets to arrive around my hatch date) is my favorite already! Good luck! I hope they all hatch. 😊
I agree, fantastic selection! What day are you on?

I should have quail hatching Monday too

I love our cochins & light Brahma I think our blue Cochin is our prettiest chicken & she’s still in the teen phase 😂 she was an Easter hatch
I love my light Brahmas too. Got a buff Brahma this year, my favorite Brahma since I raised them growing up. Then I have a blue Cochin hen and Roo, buff Cochin, and silver laced Cochin. And trying to hatch splash Cochins, and project Cochins. ❤️

There is a huge size difference between my shipped egg Silverudd’s and Hoover’s Hatchery mystery chick (Easter Egger?). They have the same hatch day but seem to be on the extremes size wise. Both Silverudd’s are petite (I’m already guessing them pullets) and 3/10 mystery chicks are monstrous. Its fun watching all the variations in this batch of chicks.

We had a close call this evening. My 3 year old accidentally stepped, hard, on a female Legbar chick. I thought for sure it was a goner. Closing its eyes, labored breathing. Then the little gal rallied. Now she’s up and pecking around the pen with the others. She does have a noticeable limb but no longer looks near death. I’ll do a better inspection tomorrow if she survives the night. I didn’t want to cause her any additional stress this evening.

BB63F680-772D-4D1F-B915-798B55A871E8.jpeg E6DE2A23-DF5D-4D20-AB5A-2DBE7068E295.jpeg

Today is day 16. Where mine are shipped eggs and some have some pretty big air cells should I lockdown early to give the chicks more time to get into position? The few eggs I have hatched have all hatched on day 20. 1 in the incubator and 2 under 2 different broodys.

I was planning on taking the Turner out tomorrow night and getting it ready but not bump up humidity until Fri. But should I take Turner out tonight?

Day 15 here today
I went ahead and added the drawer liner.
I put the eggs in the cupcake liner so just to catch the yucks lol not sure if it will work tho pulled one yesterday that I had doubt about, day 10 ish quitter I think when I showed my 5 y.o the egg candling lol he was pretty amazed by it.

candled tonight when I setup the incubator and pulled the Turner out. All chicken eggs are going strong except 2 barn yard mix were too dark to see. So I left them inside after sniffle them. Can't really see the quail eggs so I'm hoping some will hatch out of the 12.

i also added a little bit water in the first slot to just bump the humidity a little bit for quails and will add more Saturday night for the chickens if nothing hatches then

so now I have 8 RIR ( set 11, 1 got cracked under the lid... Tiny little too big, 9 fertile)
15 barn yard mixed (set 17, 15 fertile)

Here is the picture of them :)

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_031900160.jpg
    PXL_20220714_031900160.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 2
Today is day 16. Where mine are shipped eggs and some have some pretty big air cells should I lockdown early to give the chicks more time to get into position? The few eggs I have hatched have all hatched on day 20. 1 in the incubator and 2 under 2 different broodys.

I was planning on taking the Turner out tomorrow night and getting it ready but not bump up humidity until Fri. But should I take Turner out tonight?
I don’t think it matters when you take the turner out. I took mine out DAY 16 this go round just because I was going to be out of town. Last week‘s hatch I took the turner DAY 15 for the same reason and had a good hatch rate. If I am home I take it out DAY 17 normally. Any day after day 14 is fine.
I think your humidity plan for Friday will play a bigger role.😊

Update: Cream Legbar chick made it through the night and the limp has disappeared. Astounding recovery!

I always take my boots off and go barefoot into the brooder. Or, it's it too cold for that, I wear my lightest shoes.

I'm terrified of the possibility of stepping on a chick.

Back
Top Bottom